Rust prevention on the spalted blade

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Sorry for the noob question, finally got my first Fiddleback, a bush hermit, and when I was showing it off to a friend, they mentioned a concern in the design/function of the knife because of the spalting. I've had some rust experiences with a forged finish knife, which seems very similar, from it's shipping but has been fine after using some paste CLP.

I guess my question is, does the spalting need more attention for rust or is it pretty similar to other tool steel maintenance?

Similar question, any issues keeping it clean if used in food prep?

I tried searching the forum and then in google so if I missed this somewhere, in a FAQ or something, please direct me there.

Crappy first pic but it's all I had time for last night/ this morning between sleep and work.
7H3PqcSl.jpg

Standard maintenance and you should be fine. I too have not had trouble with my blades. :thumbsup:

This is great to hear that it's a theoretical concern that isn't really a problem in practice. Thank you much gents. Mineral oil or 3-in-1 are my standard go-to's with the CLP paste being new as I've started storing more carbon blades and axes and wanted something a little thicker for longevity. Mineral oil is what I use on my regular users.

If anyone else has input, I would still be interested in tips, tricks, and experiences, especially if they differ in any way from above.

Back