1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rusty Swamprat

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by beaverballs, Jun 25, 2019.

1. beaverballs

beaverballs Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2009
    What’s the best way to bring her back, gents?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    I'd probably just resharpen the edge and beat the rust off. Sand paper/grinder.

That thing looks like it was stored in Poseidon's salt watery bunghole.

Would like to hear the story how ended up like this. Probably worst neglect ever seen, on a Busse.

beaverballs likes this.
  3. effenoam

effenoam Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2013
    If you dont mind the pitting I would just use CLP and a steel brush. Otherwise, sandpaper.

beaverballs likes this.
  4. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    How did this happen?

5. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Vinegar, steel wool or sanding sponge, sharpen, use. Sand more for smoothness if needed. Sr101 rusts really easy but it doesn't pit easily, from my experience, so it's likely not too deep.

Looks fine to me. I would get light rust on my ratweiler if I worked in heavy due in the mornings but it would come right off and vinegar makes the rust a deep patina. However, I now have an infiweiler, so no more worries.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shortly after I got it (bought lightly used and stripped).
    [​IMG]

beaverballs likes this.
  6. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Just a bit of character. Oil it, sharpen it and use it. If the color bothers you, use a metal polish like mothers to slowly clean it up.

n2s

beaverballs likes this.
  7. beaverballs

Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks for the tips, gents! This rust is simply from sitting in a drawer in Hawaii. Sorry, nothing exciting, just plain old neglect.

8. beaverballs

Oct 7, 2009
    Bikerector, I dig the patina on that Ratweiler. Definitely going to give the vinegar a try, perhaps along with a fine steel brush I have laying around here.

9. beaverballs

Oct 7, 2009
    Looks better than ever after about 30 min of scrubbing with a fine steel brush and some apple cider vinegar.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

dman62, inkynate, Hard Knocks and 3 others like this.
  10. steelnut

steelnut Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Wow that was bad!
    I have that knife and am thinking about a mustard patina to protect it.
    I did it to a smaller sr101 and it has lasted years.
    You can find BF threads on the topic..

Edit* Took a pix, I used the Rat to chop the head off of last years Thanksgiving Turkey.
    Patina is starting to form on it's own, but I want to see the temper line...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    beaverballs likes this.
  11. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Wow, that's unreal. Guess if lived in HI would mostly have stainless knives if that kind of corrosion can happen from just sitting in a drawer.

Nice work cleaning it up tho.:thumbsup: Patina=character.

[​IMG]

beaverballs likes this.
  12. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Man, Hawaii is not joking arround with corrosion!!! I've swam with carbon steel knives and never had anything like that!!!!!

You might want to stick to INFI!!!

beaverballs likes this.
  13. beaverballs

Oct 7, 2009
    Haha, I think you may be right about me being better suited to INFI. It’s been years since I’ve had any TBH. I’ve been jonesing bad to try a leaner meaner as of late. Not even sure why, but that model really speaks to me as a good general purpose blade. Now I just need to find one for sale.

14. beaverballs

Oct 7, 2009
    I dug the SR-101 patina look so much that I’m stripping my Ratmandu. Wish me luck.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

inkynate likes this.
  15. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Man. How do cars and trucks hold up there???? That’s crazy. Yes you should invest in some Infi