rvw req: William Henry Kestrels

If you own a Kestrel, could you share your impressions?

I'd also be interested to hear Kestrel vs Lancet comparisons. The latter appears very popular, but I'm not a big fan of its blade. The Kestrel appears (and feels) like a better designed knife, but it is also a good deal smaller. Am curious how it "feels" for those who have owned one for a while.

Thanks,
Glen

I own a MOP Kestral. I am very pleased with this knife. Your first impression is that it looks small, but when you hold it--at least, when I hold it--it doesn't feel too small, and it is comfortable to use. It has enough weight and rigidity to give confidence; it doesn't feel like a plastic toy. I also like the fact that it is easy to open without the thumbstud sticking a mile out from the blade; the cutout and the grippy checkering on the stud make it quite comfortable.

I actually have the other question--I have been looking at getting a CF Lancet, and wondered what people thought!

I've carried a CF Kestrel everyday since I got it. It's a nice EDC for a city office because it is very discreet and doesn't look in the least like a weapon.

It has really smooth action and this as well as its size enables one-handed closing of the linerlock with perfect safety. The blade shape makes it handy for office tasks - the point lets you cut open little notches in plastic packets, and the curved configuration of the whole makes skinning and slicing fruit and sausage safe and controlled, especially in small hands. Actually it is perfectly suited to a task that requires you to hold the blade almost horizontal and cut/slice towards the flat of your index finger or thumb or a task which requires you to direct the tip with your fingertip on the spine.

It's fine on soft wood (sharpening pencils), not so great for whittling seasoned wood off the hiking trail but in fairness I don't think it's meant for that function. I would never use it to hack or for splitting wood.

I've never handled a Lancet and cannot provide a comparison. However I do have very small hands so you will probably need to look at the other reviews to decide if the Kestrel is too small for average to big hands.

So I carry the Kestrel in town and a Sebbie (I think from you) when hiking, and bring both when I'm travelling. Between them, they answer all the needs I can conceive of having for a folder.

------------------
" ... for I am a bear of very little brain and long words give me trouble."

Hey, thanks for the replies -- they are very helpful. The Kestrel does appear to be a really thoughtfully designed folder. Just playing around in a store, it felt much sturdier in-hand than the Lancet, and better designed for use -- so your comments support what I’d sensed.

Summerland -- the pearl is the very model I’m considering, in fact -- very simple, beautiful work.

Kmclye -- Yes, I believe you do have my old Sebbie -- glad it has found such a good home!

Thanks again,
Glen

Back