Ryan W. Knives First Folder

RyanW

I have been working hard on my first Folder Design.... hundreds of rough drafts drawn up and erased. I have been blessed with some amazing friends in the knife community that have helped me work through my lameness and inability to think at times. I have plans to visit a few makers shops (one in particular) that will help make this all possible.

I hope to get some input from those of you that follow my work here on the forums as I make progress. I have most of the details worked out and will share the design when I am sure it will work out.

Features I am planning for the folder (In no specific order)
  • 3.5" Wharnie Blade
  • Hamon
  • Frame Lock
  • Thrust Bearings
  • Thumb Stud
  • Pocket Clip - Tip Up

after talking with Eric Ochs I have been making up some "models" out of Kydex, and G10 just to make sure everything fits together. I am going to share a few WIP photos I grabbed during the process (I have made over 15 now in different configurations) Not all will be of the same model/design.

Happy to answer and questions if I am able
... Ryan

Last edited:
why bearings instead of bushings?

Hey Lorien, Thanks for the Kind words ;)

I will eventually transition these into Flippers, The advice I have gotten all point to bearings being the best option. You dont like Bearings?

ah, that makes sense. For non flippers, I don't see the point of bearings. For flippers, they absolutely make sense. Jantz has stainless ones, fyi.

I like the pattern, by the way. Not overly dramatic or out there, just a nice looking, solid, ergonomic tool.
I think it's important for a folder to look right when it's closed, seems you do too.
Detente hole looks like it's covered, nice triangulation for strong lockup as well. Looks like an optimized blade/handle ratio.
Hits all the marks, methinks. I'm stoked to see it brought to life in steel.

From a design standpoint I don't have anything to offer. Visually I find the lines to be very pleasing. This knife as a flipper would be something I'd love to have in my pocket. It is non threatening but very capable at the same time.

Thanks everyone that is following this... I have had a few too many irons in the fire with a large run of Mid-Tech Karambits (Find That Thread Here) in the works and the issues that come up when doing first time CNC work. I have at least 4 projects in the works with Lorien and his Design work. Gearing up for Blade Show, Working on my ABS Journeyman Stamp (Moving very slowly) and trying to keep my family and personal life in tact!

I am heading to Eric Ochs in a week to work out some bugs in the folders and could not ask for a better person to help me out! Thanks Eric!!

I will post some updates from Oregon!!
... Ryan

The wharncliff profile is really sharp! The lines just work. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone that is following this... I have had a few too many irons in the fire with a large run of Mid-Tech Karambits (Find That Thread Here) in the works and the issues that come up when doing first time CNC work. I have at least 4 projects in the works with Lorien and his Design work. Gearing up for Blade Show, Working on my ABS Journeyman Stamp (Moving very slowly) and trying to keep my family and personal life in tact!

I am heading to Eric Ochs in a week to work out some bugs in the folders and could not ask for a better person to help me out! Thanks Eric!!

I will post some updates from Oregon!!
... Ryan

I have tried to post updates here 5 times and lost the info every time... getting tired of Bladeforums bugs!

Well that's a bummer! I'd really like to see the updates. Come on BF! Let's get these bugs squashed!

let give it a try again...

Quick update...

First off Have to Thank Eric Ochs for his generous help with this, I would never have gotten this project in the works with out his input and his help!! If you didn't already know, Eric is truly "The Man"

I have left a lot of the WIP work out of the photos, this should just give you an idea where the Ryan W. Knives Saddleback Folder is headed, I spent the weekend working on it with Eric and could not be more pleased with how it is going.

Custom Ti pocket clip ready to be bent into shape and cleaned up

Here the clip is after being cleaned up, orange peeled and anodized ready to go on the knife

I initially wanted to knife to closer resemble my Saddleback Wharnie Fixed blade which has a skinny neck, but we were concerned that it would be a problem with the Lock bar being that thin so I decided to narrow the presentation side, leaving the back wider. which also allows easy thumb access to the lock bar when disengaging the lock bar to close it.

one of my favorite shots from this build so far here is the closed shot of the back

Here is opened... Obviously I still have to finish up the CPM154 blade!

Here is the Presentation side (Needs some love) ready to work on

Thank you for sharing! I saw the pics in the other thread you started. This folder seems to have everything just right.

okay, that is truly awesome... i totally love wharncliffe/sheepsfoot blades and this with either a spyderhole or as a flipper is just ticking all the right boxes with me. thanks for sharing!

Just realized i never updated this thread with photos of the finished Prototype Eric Helped me with (Immensely)

Really happy with how it turned out. I have actually just finished up the First SaddleBack 100% out of my shop made by my hands. Will get photos here when able

Excellent looking knife! I love your fixed blades and moving to folders is a great progression.

What is the blade, handle, and overall length of the finished knife?

I ask because your placement of the thumbstud is unique. Most folders have them closer to the pivot right about where your makers mark is.
I have smaller hands so on tip up medium sized knives (8-8 1/2 overall) i have to very slightly readjust to open with the stud. Never been an issue just a personal quirk whichever maker you believe in dealt me.
With the stud where you placed it id wager this would completely negate that for me.

Its on bearings so no doubt its smooth, but does the stud placement affect quick flciking or slow thumb opening at all?

Thanks for the post everyone...

Benchwarmer: OAL: 8" Blade: 3.5"
I had a lot of space for the thumbstud so I used the big one. These are going to have the Spyder holes but I was waiting for approval from Spyderco to do that (Which I have now) Probably best way to show you the action is in a video

[video=youtube;IekMMjBuhhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekMMjBuhhg[/video]

I have finished the first one to come out of my shop with the Spyder hole

You were right, the video shows the action perfectly.

Now i can't decide if i like the thumb stud or the Spydie hole more.

Thanks for your response and the vid Ryan!

Here are some more photos of the New SaddleBack (#001)... This one is Sold but hope to make a few more ;)

I will have it with me at the Blade Show, If you are there grab me and ask to have a look at it! Comments appreciated!

Back