• Spring cleaning sale: I've reduced prices on the BladeForums.com Logo Tshirts and PVC patches to move these out of here! We're down to sizes Large & XL on the shirts, but have plenty of every colorway left on the patches. Get them before they are gone! https://www.bladeforums.com/help/bfcmerch/
  • The search engine is not working correctly. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Thank you for your patience.
  • I've implemented new password tools to try and cut down on the number of people getting their profiles compromised by reusing the same passwords that they have used elsewhere. If you are using a password that has been exposed in a data breach and is listed on haveibeenpwned.com you will get a notification to change it the next time you log in. When you choose a new password it will show you the strength; you will need a "Medium" strength or higher password for here, 8 characters or more in length.

Thanks for your support!

RyanW Knives' 2015 GAW Knife design

which type, generally speaking?

• Neck, around 5" OA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EDC, around 7" OA

• Bushcraft, around 9" OA

• Hunter, around 9" OA

• Boot, around 8" OA

• Camp, around 12" OA

• Chopper, around 15" OA

• Machete, around 23" OA

• Short Fighter, around 10" OA

• Long Fighter, around 12" OA

• Other (please describe in your post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lorien

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello folks!

Well, the time has come to start dreaming up a pattern for this year's Giveaway Knife.

Please post your thoughts on what kind of knife you'd like to see, and/or participate in the poll.

Ryan's 2014 GAW knife turned out to be a solid piece of work that appears to have legs!

Let's make 2015's knife even better!

This year's knife will be a fixed blade with hidden tang, (to help Ryan prepare for his ABS JS testing...)

Some aspects I'd like to hear your thoughts on;
-steel choice and finish
-thickness, weight, other dimensions
-handle material suggestions
-sheath ideas
-mention your favourite designs, too. We'll take cues from that as well

When the time comes, I'll create a blueprint for the pattern, (for Ryan) and a conceptual design, (for you)
Have a great year, people!
:):thumbup:

1066vik

Gold Member
camp knife -- slightly dropped point Leuku out of 5/32" elmax, high saber flat grind with satin finish.
6-7" blade, 4.75" tapered hexagon handle with Mokume-gane bolster and butt-plate.
handle of African blackwood

Man, it is hard to narrow it down to just one design you would like to see made.

15" Chopper
High - Sabre or Convex Grind
.25" wide
Preferably a more stain resistant steel
Shallow clip or maybe a aggressive 'spey' type tip
Spalted Maple or Curly Walnut Handle

I really like the designs I've seen recently by Mr. Steingass. They are really sturdy, but beautiful knives.

Good luck to Ryan as he prepares for his test!!!:thumbup:

Lorien

thanks for your detailed posts! The more, the merrier:)

RyanW

This is great!! Making me a little nervous... keep the suggestions coming, I always love seeing what Lorien comes up with in the end based on all the suggestions.
... Ryan

Lorien

things are looking good for a fixed blade edc!

Well, I don't know nothing about knife types. All I know is that I like pink, or purple, or pink/purple handles. And I like a knife that Ryan Weeks makes. I'm looking forward to the 2015 Ryan W. Knives Giveaway Knife design.

TJ

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
I voted short fighter. Knowing your work, I know it will be amazing.

RyanW

Thanks everyone for voting

I voted short fighter. Knowing your work, I know it will be amazing.

I personally would love to see what Lorien comes up with in a Short Fighter, thanks Mack

Lorien

short fighter/EDC it is!

I'm announcing a sudden and unexpected twist; I WILL MAKE THE SHEATH! It won't be fancy, but it will be functional and last as long as you. Maybe longer.

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
Thanks everyone for voting

I personally would love to see what Lorien comes up with in a Short Fighter, thanks Mack

short fighter/EDC it is!

I'm announcing a sudden and unexpected twist; I WILL MAKE THE SHEATH! It won't be fancy, but it will be functional and last as long as you. Maybe longer.

I can't wait to see this. The design will be cool and we all know that the execution will be incredible.:thumbup:

RyanW

short fighter/EDC it is!

Now I am excited!! Thanks Lorien!

Lorien

the pattern is finished. I'll scan it and send on over to brother Ryan next week!
I think you'll like it :)

Lorien

don't hold yer breath!
there likely won't be much to see til Ryan starts posting in-progress shots...