1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryuichi Kawamura Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by cnas122, Jun 21, 2011.

1. cnas122

cnas122

Mar 23, 2008
    Well, thought I'd start a Ryu thread, if anything because Enrique requested to see some in his thread. These are the 2 I have. They are some of the smoothest knives I own...BUT....out of every knife of his I have owned (4), all of the spines sit low to the springs. I talked to a couple of purveyors at Blade, and they said the same thing. If it was just 1 or 2 knives that I knew of, I might think it was just flaws. But more than a couple have mentioned this to me. Does anyone else have this experience...is it just one of his hallmarks? I meant to ask him in Atlanta this year but I forgot. Maybe later tonight I'll take some pictures of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    wolfeknives likes this.
  2. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Campbell, the two blades on the Premium Trapper that I own are also "underbladed" in this fashion. Not sure why he builds 'em that way. I've discussed it with other makers as well.

(Firefox users can right click and select "view image" to see full size)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bakerg2g

bakerg2g

Apr 22, 2010
    The Blades on this one were the same way... But it's a nice one!
    Very nice Stag..

Jason

Attached Files:

4. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Nice knives. Do you have any pics of the spine to spring junction?

- Christian

5. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx

Nov 29, 2007
    I like the first posted and the wharnie trapper
    didn't know the maker, good thread !

6. Dornblaser

Dornblaser Banned BANNED

Sep 5, 2010
    I think that those knives would carry very nicely in the pocket, maybe that is why he made the design decision to have the blades carry low?

Elliott - is that a dual bladed lockback? If so, I have never seen one before.

7. Dr Bill

Dr Bill

Sep 12, 2002
    Great idea Campbell! I'm surprised it's taken this long. For me, Ryu is one of the top three slip joint makers. I may have a couple around here somewhere. ;)

Swayback jack
    [​IMG]

Lockback English Jack
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Muskrat
    [​IMG]

Coffin Jack
    [​IMG]

R423 Congress
    [​IMG]

Lockback Whittler
    [​IMG]

Millennium Trapper
    [​IMG]

TB tribute dogleg trapper
    [​IMG]

Serpentine Stockman
    [​IMG]

Doctor - with a seal cap
    [​IMG]

Serpentine English Jack - stag is gone, kept the bone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

English Jack
    [​IMG]

8. VCM3

VCM3 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Nice knives fella's I do believe,in older Sheffield knives & the like,that spring/blade detail you mention,was one way they were built. It may be his style is of tradition,in that detail,too
    -Vince

9. cnas122

cnas122

Mar 23, 2008
    Dr. Bill - WOW!!!!!!!

I added pics of the blade in my first post

10. wagglebee

wagglebee

Jun 6, 2009
    Great thread Campbell, all of these knives are gorgeous!

11. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    The master blade is a lockback. The secondary is a slipjoint.

12. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Beautiful knives! I read that he was previously a graphic design artist before becoming a full time knife maker. Ryuichi's artistic ability shows in his knife making.

His website isn't easy to find. I have it bookmarked at home but I thought this would be a good place for a link. http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ryu-knives/

13. drskip

drskip

Jul 26, 2009
    Dr Bill, I know you must fel overburdened by all of these knives. You can lighten your load by sending me that serpentine stockman immediately!

14. cnas122

cnas122

Mar 23, 2008
    He's very responsive also. One of the cool things about his site is that he constantly updates the pictures under each pattern with recent knives. For instance, we he brought me that lockback at Blade a couple years ago, I looked at his site a week later and he had posted the knife with his cool graphics. If anyone gets the chance, look through all of the patterns on his page. They are incredible

15. RichardRogers

RichardRogers

Jul 12, 2010
    I love his knives, he's probably my favorite slipjoint maker. I hardly ever get to see his knives, because he sells before the show. The ones I've seen have been outstanding. Very refined. Wonderful finishes.

I just wish I spoke Japanese, so I could visit with him more easily. :)

16. Rigaman021

Rigaman021

Jun 27, 2007
    Those are all gorgeous. Dr. Bill, wow. What a great bunch of knives. The stag and bone he uses is all so killer!

17. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    Some great knives Bill. Thanks for letting us have a look.
    Jason, that stag is awesome. Thank you too.

Here are a couple from Ryu.
    Another Dr. Knife with a sealed cap.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A tear drop. My first knife from Ryu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Gus, I still think that black lip teardrop is the sexiest slipjoint I've ever seen, just DY-NO-MITE!!

19. wagglebee

wagglebee

Jun 6, 2009
    Yep, that is spectacular!

20. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    Thanks guys, but all the credit goes to Ryu. All I did was order it and wait a little. ;)