?'s about Mini Auto's

Well, I made my first mini. I made it out of cheap aluminum and mild steel(in case the design didn't work). I'm now ready to try it with real material. So far I have 6061-T6 aluinum, for handles and several different size Torx screws. Short list, Huh! Now for the questions. What should I use for the blade pivot? I have not found anything thats works. Where can I get springs? The one in the folder I have now is a modified spring and doesn't work well. What should I do about the button? Can I buy them or should I try to make them(out of what)? And I like D-2 for blade material, can this work in my mini's? Or should I use a stainless steel? Sorry this is so long, but I have a lot of questons.

Thanks,
Garrett

The pivot is the one of the most important aspects of any Knife. You should use a bushing set up. As for materials the sky's the limit. Whatever hold up under the stress.
There are a several release designs out there.
Look around and get the best one for you..
Springs can be a problem. You have to decide between leaf or coil. Look around youll find them..

------------------
Darrel Ralph / Bladesmith
Web www.infinet.com/~browzer
Take a look!!!!

The design is a modern coil spring type. The prototype's spring is one I found at a hardware store. It was the right size, but had to many coils. I cut to fit the folder. It opens but not as fast as my GT Mini Auto. The pivot I made out of one side of a Corby type blind bolt and a button head torx screw, both are stainless. The button is aluinum that looks similar to the button in the Cheyenne Auto. I'm looking for improvement on the parts I have. Is there a catalog or a news letter that have the parts I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Garrett

Back