S&M File&Wire English Jack

The English Jack knife is really hard to open, and Bill horn(whom I purchased it from, like him a lot) said that is kind of the way that knife is designed.

Did he mention the English Jack in particular was designed that way, or the whole F&W series? I've been looking at the F&W twin blade trapper for a user and would rather not have to use a tool to open it every time. Oh, and any play in the blades when open?

The gunstock will be here tomorrow maybe.

Please be sure to let us know how you like this one too.:)

I love the Deluxe English Jack.

I don't carry it though. It's just too pretty.

And yes, Bill Horn over at cumberlandknifeworks is a great guy to do business with.
One of the very best.

Did he mention the English Jack in particular was designed that way, or the whole F&W series? I've been looking at the F&W twin blade trapper for a user and would rather not have to use a tool to open it every time. Oh, and any play in the blades when open?

Please be sure to let us know how you like this one too.:)

Having quite a few F&W knives, I can tell you this:
The 'Mountain Man' style lockback opens easily and smoothly.

The others, though, do have extra-sturdy backsprings. ;)

As do Schatt & Morgan knives in general.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'd better to talk to Bill first before I order.

The spring is stiff because by design to hold the knife open, not because it's to be a safe queen. The English Jack is big, the hard spring is for your protection so it doesn't close under hard use. If you can't handle the stiffness, work it every day with some oil and it'll loosen up in a couple of weeks. People have the same complaint about the Vintage Knives swell center moose. I have both knives and like it tough to open because it protects you. Don't let a good spring make you put down one of the largest and toughest production slipjoints made.

By the way, if you don't let your nails get long, they won't rip as easy, whether it's on a knife or working elsewhere. :)

BrownShoe,

Thanks. I think this is a really great knife, still a little more than I want in my pocket for edc, but I will use this knife none the less. I am a guitarist/mandolin player, but have been so busy the last week or so I have not been playing. Usually keep my nails trimmed twice a week to play well, and just had not got around to it, and you were right, the ends broke off cause they were too long. Partly my fault.

I thought about getting rid of this knife, but it is a great knife. And I realize it needed to be designed to be tough the way it is. I will work it will oil, and try to use it, and I believe I will hold on to it. You are right, it was designed to be used.

I have sent back to Bill the Gunstock. It is a nice knife, but I discovered the other day, the Barlow pattern ,and have fallen in love with it. Like I said earlier, being new to slipjoints, there are a lot of knives I am learning about. I ordered a Case 6.5 Bonestag Barlow , should be here today or tomorrow. I think the barlow pattern will be my favorite. I think I will get some more.

Back