S110v vs M390

For use in an EDC folder with a 3.5" blade how does M390 compare with S110V?

Which steel is more corrosion resistant and which tends to hold an edge longer? Or is it a wash?

The edge retention is going to go to the S110. While M390 is a wonderful steel, and probably one of my favorites, all things being equal, S110 is going to out last it on edge retention. The S110 is running 9% vanadium, vs M390 at 4%.

I really mean all things being equal too. If the M390 geometry is thinner, if it's thinner behind the edge, anything that could skew the test will. M390 is that good. But holy smokes, S110 at 61-62 Rc is a monster.

Refer to Ankerson's test. That thread is about THE bible of what steels are capable of. I have done some of my own testing, but nothing like he has. :)

Well, here is my take on the original question of M390 vs CPM S110V have quite a bit of experience with both steels in a variety of knives at different RC hardness ranges and geometries.

Both are excellent steels and very stain resistant.

Both steels are very picky about HT and the tempering processes to get them to that 61+ hardness range in production blades.

As far as straight edge retention goes it really isn't a contest as S110V will hold an edge longer than M390 and depending on RC hardness of both steels that gap can be very large as M390 tops out at 62 and S110V at 64......

Neither steel is chippy assuming a good HT.

The Carbide content percentage between the steels is very large and that's what gives S110V the advantage in edge retention combined with a higher obtainable RC hardness.

But even at the same RC hardness everything being equal they really aren't close...

Both are very fine grained.

S110V is a very complex steel that develops a very complex carbide especially in the higher RC ranges....

Last edited:
Would M390 be closer to S90V in edge retention and corrosion resistance (as opposed to S110V) ? What does the 110 , 90 and 30 mean in S110V , S90V and S30V ?

Would M390 be closer to S90V in edge retention and corrosion resistance (as opposed to S110V) ? What does the 110 , 90 and 30 mean in S110V , S90V and S30V ?

M390 would be closer to S110V in corrosion resistance... And closer to S90V in edge retention...

The 30, 60, 90, 110, 125 was supposed to be in reference to the vanadium content, but that changed somewhat over the years....

S30V has 4% V

S60V has 5.5% V

S90V has 9% V

S110V has 9% V

S125V has 12% V

Would M390 and S90V be the same as of sharping go's ?
With S110V being the hardest to get a hair pooping edge .

M390 = what steel , made in USA ?

Last edited:

M390 is like Carpenter's 204-P

And I'd say m390 is much easier to sharpen than S90V but thats just my opinion. And personally, I like S110V better, once I got the hairpopping edge, if it dulls I can get it back to screaming sharp with just a few swipes on the coarse Sharpmaker rods

Bohler-Uddehom M390 steel. I'm not too sure how the corporate stuff works(Bohler and Uddeholm were separate companies and merged), but I suppose it's Swedish for practical purposes.
If you are looking for US made steel specifically, then Carpenter makes CTS-204p, Latrobe has Duratech 20CV.

I'm hoping the success of the Blue Manix 2 in S110v convinces spyderco to make more knives in S110v. I really like the steel, however don't favor the rest of the knife. I'm not a huge fan of the FRN handles and lack of liners. I also feel the knife is a little too wide, and doesn't carry well. I'd give a finger for a BM 710 or Sebenza in S110v though:D.

Ah, no, that's not the way it works, reprofiling M390 would be much easier than either S90V or S110V, as far as touch ups and or regular sharpening goes they would all be pretty close depending on sharpening talent and what one was sharpening with. I use SIC and Ceramics for touch ups and sharpening so I can't really tell much of a difference.....

That would be CTS-204P, CPM 20CV and Duratech 20CV.

I'm hoping the success of the Blue Manix 2 in S110v convinces spyderco to make more knives in S110v. I really like the steel, however don't favor the rest of the knife. I'm not a huge fan of the FRN handles and lack of liners. I also feel the knife is a little too wide, and doesn't carry well. I'd give a finger for a BM 710 or Sebenza in S110v though.

2ed that

I have been looking at the Manix 2 LW in S110v at less once a week for about a months .
Just not feeling it . I would have grabbed one if i could take it apart and camo G10 or any color G10 !
And would pay $50 extra for it !

I'm hoping the success of the Blue Manix 2 in S110v convinces spyderco to make more knives in S110v. I really like the steel, however don't favor the rest of the knife. I'm not a huge fan of the FRN handles and lack of liners. I also feel the knife is a little too wide, and doesn't carry well. I'd give a finger for a BM 710 or Sebenza in S110v though:D.

It's about the same as a Military width wise so for me they carry the same other than the Manix 2 is a lot lighter.

The liners don't matter as it's more than strong enough to handle anything that a person should be doing with a 3.5" folder.

The blade will snap before those handles give out.....

It's about the same as a Military width wise so for me they carry the same other than the Manix 2 is a lot lighter.

The liners don't matter as it's more than strong enough to handle anything that a person should be doing with a 3.5" folder.

The blade will snap before those handles give out.....

Yeah, we have proof already!

Well, here is my take on the original question of M390 vs CPM S110V have quite a bit of experience with both steels in a variety of knives at different RC hardness ranges and geometries.

Both are excellent steels and very stain resistant.

Both steels are very picky about HT and the tempering processes to get them to that 61+ hardness range in production blades.

As far as straight edge retention goes it really isn't a contest as S110V will hold an edge longer than M390 and depending on RC hardness of both steels that gap can be very large as M390 tops out at 62 and S110V at 64......

Neither steel is chippy assuming a good HT.

The Carbide content percentage between the steels is very large and that's what gives S110V the advantage in edge retention combined with a higher obtainable RC hardness.

But even at the same RC hardness everything being equal they really aren't close...

Both are very fine grained.

S110V is a very complex steel that develops a very complex carbide especially in the higher RC ranges....

Thank you, I respect your testing over the years and your opinion of this M390 vs. S110V is very valuable. (My top 2 stainless steel :) )

I have heard that S110V HT can cause more warpage in blade blanks compare to , say S30V. Is that true?

MFL

Thank you, I respect your testing over the years and your opinion of this M390 vs. S110V is very valuable. (My top 2 stainless steel :) )

I have heard that S110V HT can cause more warpage in blade blanks compare to , say S30V. Is that true?

MFL

Haven't heard that one....

It is manufactured by Bohler Uddeholm, primarily designed for plastic injection mold. It is 3rd generation micro clean powder metal. It has 20% Chromium that contributes to corrosion resistance.

I believe S90V was intended to offer wear resistance over S30V, S60V siblings, and S110V. S110V contains niobium and cobalt that adds to minimizing carbide grain and increased toughness.

I have heard that S125V is either not widely available or very difficult to work with when it comes to finish grind due to hard vanadium carbide. Is that consent among steel aficionados?

MFL

Back