S30V Akonua and Kalinga Pro value

I notice that many of the stamps we see on recent knives look odd and somewhat different than the older ones.
I wonder if they've found a way to laser them so they look like stamps?

Maybe, here is my I think 2015 custom shoppe 110 where the buck stamp catches my fingernail and the opposite side does not.
sVHSZsn.jpg

buJfVKn.jpg

My Buck s30v Buck 119's have etched "Buck" monikers as well as steel type. One is a black blade version from Cabela's (am I allowed to say their name?) and one is a red micarta from C&C that has the 75th anniversary anvil. My 5160 119's are stamped on logo side (with 75th anvil) and steel type is etched on flip side.
I bought a 101 on eBay that was labeled custom shop. It was in 5160 (etched on blade) with mirror polish and had nice burl scales. I didn't pay it much attention as I got more intereting knives that day. I traded it to an engraver for some scale stock at a show. At the next show, he showed me the finished knife, but was concerned that it wasn't a real Buck. As we looked at it through a loop, we could see that the Buck logo had been buffed off.

Maybe we should rename this thread so It can be found in the future.

One of my 5160 steel 110s is stamped Buck on one side and etched Bos 5160 on the other. I forced a patina with apple cider vinegar and other things. It ate the etching right off. The patina made the stamp look super cool though.

Gosh, maybe they're using both etching and lasering and passing the lasered logos off as stamped logos.

The new stamps sure do look odd anyway. Not as firm or deep and lacking integrity.

Maybe, here is my I think 2015 custom shoppe 110 where the buck stamp catches my fingernail and the opposite side does not.
sVHSZsn.jpg

buJfVKn.jpg
This is really interesting.
In the past I'm sure that Buck has said stamping on both sides of the tang could not be done because it weakened the steel too much.
Yet.......this knife looks like it has been stamped on both sides and engraved out on the blade......and stamping both sides of the tang would contradict what they said before!!
IF they are truly stamps.
So at least one must be a lasered mark that just LOOKS like a stamp.

Odd stuff going on here.

This is really interesting.
In the past I'm sure that Buck has said stamping on both sides of the tang could not be done because it weakened the steel too much.
Yet.......this knife looks like it has been stamped on both sides and engraved out on the blade......and stamping both sides of the tang would contradict what they said before!!
IF they are truly stamps.
So at least one must be a lasered mark that just LOOKS like a stamp.

Odd stuff going on here.

No, just bad lighting on the Bos side. Bos side is all laser or whatever technology they use to print it on. The Buck side seems to be engraved or stamped.

No, just bad lighting on the Bos side. Bos side is all laser or whatever technology they use to print it on. The Buck side seems to be engraved or stamped.

I see. When you click and get the enlarged images all the lettering has vague similarities. The little glitter points that are obvious on the BOS also show up on the Buck side--just not as much.

It's helpful to see these blown up so big.........the Buck "stamp" is very shallow compared to the stamps of the past. It does have some similarities to the lasering used for the BOS on the other side.

The "Custom Shop" etching really looks cheap. That is the worst of it. They should devise a better way to denote that it's a custom.

Ahh ok. Retired but noticed he hasn’t been on since September last year. He does know i welcome his insight?
Still 17 years on the forum is amazing in itself. Hopefully just a break and we’ll hear from him soon.
DN

Back