S30V or D2 in a folder?

Which do you all prefer in a folder with blade length between 3"-4"? Seems like custom makers such as Bob Dozier prefer to use D2, but I see others that boast S30V to be a better performer. If price isn't an issue, which do you all prefer as a better performer for a folder?

I am extremely impressed with the CPM S30V blade on my Millie. It touches up beautifully with just a few passes on my sharpmaker and holds a very sharp/durable edge for a long while. Excellent corrosive resistance too.

I've been infinately impressed with the S30V in my Cuda Dominator, and heard various, albeit small, complaints with the D2. From all that I've heard and seen, the S30V is the better steel.

My Harsey designed Lone Wolf folder is S30V...it is fine stuff. I have a Dozier with D2...also, fine stuff. Cannot see where you could go wrong either way.

After carrying an s30v Sebbie, I am a huge fan of this steel.

s30v all the way.

I have no experience with S30V, but I can tell you that you will have no problem with D2. It's been great in my 806.

On a folder S30V wins. But you have to look at the whole folder. Construction etc. What if it is the toughest steel on a weak construction? Both must come together.

I have both, and really think S30V is slightly better, but for most of my usage, either is more than acceptable. If I could buy a particular knife in either steel, but one was say 25% less expensive, I would pick the less expensive.

i'm no metallurgist, but this link leads me to believe that s30v is the ideal steel for folders & knives that see a lot of all-conditions use. it's like d2 with better corrosion resistance.

In a folder, you better not abuse either one. If you are getting a big chopper/camp knife, S30V is definitely better for the increased toughness. With a folder you are mainly looking for slicing, cutting ability (or at least I am). S30V will take a slightly finer edge, but D2 is no slouch. It will be hard to tell the difference in every day use.

I have sharpened small thin blades of each enough to shave my face. The S30V did it smoother, but they both worked.

For those who are stainless "freaks" go with the S30V. D2 will show some signs of discoloration when used in harsh environments and not cleaned off afterwards. This can be said for most any "stainless" steel. Like any fine tool you want to depend on, clean your knife after use- take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. That being said, take a close look at the heat treat process of any blade steel before deciding which is a more suitable steel for your use. My experience with Dozier D2 is nothing short of excellent. It can sharpen up superbly and will hold that edge equally as well. Over many years, I have experienced only very subtle spotting on a few my Dozier D2 blades. But this was the result from using around foodstuff only. They were all polished off using Flitz and some elbow grease.

I' ve used S30V from some production folders. They don' t seem to outperform any other blade steel I' ve used. So do you want a steel that cuts well or a steel that looks clean and shiny?! :)

N2

I have a BM 705 03 in D2 and a BM 733 01 in S30V. They are both great, but the "edge" goes to S30V. This is a wicked sharp blade with great retention.

For the folder and genrally small knives which are intended for light/medium cuting I'd definitely prefer D2 around 62 hrc. It'll be more wear resistant than S30V which is as usual hardened to 59HRC at best.
I have D2 blade from Neil Blackwood which is @ 62 HRC and that knife hold the edge verr well. I don't use it for chopping, but for cardboard and soft medium cuting it's one of the best I have. TTKK S30V blade that I have from Trace Rinaldi which is heat treated by P. Boss has relatively thick edge compared to D2 blade, yet doesn't hold the edge for that long. Although I use it for harsher stuff and it sees lots of use in the kitchen.

I do like to put thin edges on my light cutting knives and IMHO D2 is very good at that.

Back