S30V questions...

With S30V being used in so many knives lately, I've obviously been hearing and learning more about it. I've read a few times that one of the weaknesses of this steel is lateral strentgh, such as experienced when bending or prying. I am wondering how S30V's lateral strength compares to other popular knife steels, like say, D2, VG10, 440C, AUSx, etc.
Is it weaker, stronger, similar? Is it mentioned only because that is one of it's only weaknesses, or is it worse in S30V than others?
Still learning, thanks for the education.

p.s. I already know that knives are not prybars, etc..:D

I've heard similar things. It sounds like it's not the best choice for large fixed blade knives that may see hard use, for chopping, prying, etc. It seems to be a great choice for smaller knives, like folding pocket knives. What type of knife are you thinking about getting?

well, I have a Spyd. Para-mili, but was wondering about the Endura4...
not that I have doubts about either, just wondering

I don't think S30V is significantly weaker than any other high grade stainless cutlery steel. Maybe not tougher either, but a lot depends on the heat treat too.

I have heard that VG-10 is really great for prying, bending and so forth. I guess that's why you don't see many fixed blades in S30V. I have 4 fixed blades in VG-10 and it seems to have great tensile strength and abrasion resistance.

Although I have at least 15 folders with S30V and the ones I have used I have had great service from them.

The best for a prying is a pry bar ! Other than that get a thicker knife .A 1/4" will do much better than a 1/8".For a real tough beater I would use an appropriate steel like L-6 or CPM 3V.

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
vinny72xx said:
I've read a few times that one of the weaknesses of this steel is lateral strentgh, such as experienced when bending or prying.

The actual strength meaning resistance to bending is fairly high, the problem is it just doesn't bend very much before it breaks and thus it is problematic because it is almost perfectly rigid and then it is in pieces. Most of the other steels you listed like 440C and D2 are also problematic in this regard, some people get varying performance based on how they heat treat the steel and how it is ground. Ask the maker for specific break points, how far does it flex before it sets and when does it break.

-Cliff

Cliff Stamp said:
The actual strength meaning resistance to bending is fairly high, the problem is it just doesn't bend very much before it breaks and thus it is problematic because it is almost perfectly rigid and then it is in pieces.

Thanks, Cliff. That helped clear things up. I was under the mistaken impression that S30V is known as a weaker steel, and couldn't figure out why it's being used so much.

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
On the forums the materials terms like strength and toughness often are not used in the same sense as they are defined in that science which leads to most of the confusion. I have seen people for example equate lateral strength to an impact toughness test which is really misleading and others promote toughness because of low machinability. Unless clearly stated it is usually of benefit to ask people exactly what they mean by those terms.

-Cliff