S7 good for tomahawk/axe

I was looking into purchasing a tomahawk made out of s7 steel. I am aware of how easily the tool steel may rust, but the tomahawk has a cerakote. I also know it lacks in edge retention, which I believe comes behind overall toughness in importance. Overall how easily will it rust and last?

Also if anyone could help me with a good cleaner for s7 steel that would be great.

From what I understand s7 is very shock resistant, which is important for a hawk.

I've seen S7 used on a lot of those extremely high dollar, custom made Hawks & Axes. So like the good Brother just said I would bet that it's extremely shock resistant or else the experts wouldn't be using it.

Now on one of the old Spyderco Forum threads I do remember one of our "in house" metallurgy guys tell me that it didn't make that great of a blade steel for knives unfortunately and he went into several reasons why it didn't >> but he did go on to say that it was a good steel for striking tools like Hawks, Axes, Adzes ect.

It rusts, not as bad as some steels though. I hesitate to say how badly though as it really depends on your environment. I clean the choppers I have in it with WD40 and a scotchbrite pad, reapply WD40 and usually don't have rust. It does have staining and patina though.

As a chopping tool it won't lack in edge retention either. There are two types of edge retention on opposite ends of the spectrum...resistant to abrasive wear (like in cutting carbboard) and then resistant to blunting/deformation/chipping (as in chopping). The latter is what you want here and S7 will hold a great edge for it.

Back