Sabering champagne

I did a quick search and found nothing on this, so I thought I'd ask.

Anybody have any experience in sabering a bottle of champagne?

Have any of you in Beckerdom ever used a becker to saber a bottle?
If so, which one did you use? I'm thinking a 5, 9, or one of the bowies might be the ticket.

seems like a good way to flatten an edge and waste champagne.

It looks like a terrible idea. However, I'm not advocating the technique. I'm just curious.
Have you seen some of the things people put their knives through here??? lol. Besides, you're supposed to use the blunt edge.

From Wikipedia, Sabrage /səˈbrɑːʒ/ is a technique for opening a champagne bottle with a saber,[1] used for ceremonial occasions. The wielder slides the saber along the body of the bottle to break the top of the neck away, leaving the neck of the bottle open and ready to pour. The force of the blunt side of the blade hitting the lip breaks the glass to separate the collar from the neck of the bottle. One does not use the sharp side of the blade. The cork and collar remain together after separating from the neck.
More at > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrage

Huh. Well it does make some sense. (emphasis on "some". Is there such thing as small emphasis?) The sharp line around that little bulge is a good stress fracture point. When blowing glass you use vaguely related techniques to 'cut' a piece from the pipe.

Sabered a champagnebottle with a cheap IKEA Knife once, worked like a charm..
If you've got the technique in, you can actually use the bottom of a champagne-glass to do this, so a Becker should not be a problem what so ever...

Sabered a champagnebottle with a cheap IKEA Knife once, worked like a charm..
If you've got the technique in, you can actually use the bottom of a champagne-glass to do this, so a Becker should not be a problem what so ever...

I wonder how many times that goes awry? At least it sounds like a fair fight!

On my 9's virgin overnight trek in the woods, I was met at base camp by some buddies who got their earlier. They handed me a beer and due to the lack of bottle opener nearby I used the spine of my brand new 9 to pop the cap.

A few minutes later, I noticed that my hand (the one holding the bottle when opening it) felt wet and sticky. Raised my hand to view it in the firelight and discovered it was covered in blood. Somehow, during the process of opening the bottle, I managed to cut the knuckle of my index finger clear down to the bone. Still have no idea how I managed to do that....

But yeah... I have to concur with daizee daizee

It seems like glass shards would be an issue. If you read the article, it credits Napoleon's troops as the originators.

The only practical reason I can think of is, if you had a large number of guests and needed to open many bottles in a short period of time.

glass shards... nice way to off an enemy :D

You use the spine of the blade when using a real sword. Before long they developed special Champagne Sabres. It’s not that difficult apparently. (So I hear)

The French Napoleanic troops who didn’t know proper spine technique considered a dull edge a small price to pay in exchange for how much it impressed the local conquered women.

FX-2006B-2.jpg

tanglediver tanglediver the champagne carbonation overflowing washes any small glass pieces away from the neck of the bottle. Properly done the end comes off in one piece without little shards anyway.

Tankerwolf did this with a beer about 6 gatherings ago, using his BK5.

Back