1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sacred

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by ilknives, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ilknives

ilknives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2017
    OAL 161mm 6,34 inches
    Folded 94mm 3,7 inches
    Weight 38g 1,34 ounces
    Elmax blade 2,1mm 0,0827 inches
    HRC62, BESS sharpness between 131 and 162
    Titanium liners, bolsters and pins, all Grade 5
    Scales are pippy Yew from a tree estimated being up to 1400 years old (tree maintenance off-cut)
    Maker's polyester and epoxy liner
    Gluten free

Comments and questions welcome, thanks for looking, Ig

IMG_8122.jpg IMG_8117.jpg IMG_8118.jpg IMG_8119.jpg IMG_8121.jpg

Attached Files:

Maximus79, d762nato, Boggs and 4 others like this.
  2. fkctrjt121

fkctrjt121 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Very nice clean work! Love the internal taper. (And good to see a fellow Londoner here!)

ilknives likes this.
  3. bwlacey

bwlacey Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Beautifully done!!

ilknives likes this.
  4. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Gluten free....LOL. Thats a great looking knife. That taper is so damn cool.

ilknives likes this.
  5. Dangerously

Dangerously Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I want one, just to stare at the fit of the blade in the handle.

ilknives likes this.
  6. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    You are an absolute master and the tapered liners are a stroke of genius. I would love to see you do a liner lock or framelock front flipper.

Are these tapered liners free for other makers to use or would you take offense to that? The liners are bowed slightly, am I correct?

Your work really captures me and my imagination like few knives do. Those tapered liners are one of those features that make your knives stand out.

ilknives likes this.
  7. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    ^^^ THAT. Well done.

Next level build, even for you. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

ilknives likes this.
  8. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    They just keep getting better......;) :cool:

ilknives likes this.
  9. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Such a masterful and elegant piece :thumbsup:

Ray

ilknives likes this.
  10. ilknives

ilknives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you

11. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    Thanks so much! I never know if anyone reads the specs!
    Thanks. That is what has intrigued me with these knives I make, the extra bit of time spent on the blade fit, I just love spending more time with the fit. am grateful for the comments. Ig
    Thank you @Lapedog I have plans for a locker, likely liner lock as I am a bit more familiar with it, thank you for the kind comment, not sure if I can live up to expectation but hey, that is my motto until you try:) I would be blown away if someone uses my design and calls it! Yes the liners are bowed. I hope it at least inspires others (without sounding self important!) but I am a hobbyist and you don't need much to make your thoughts real. One of the issues I had when designing this type of spacerless knife was the structural stability. Well, I think a spacer is helpful but not necessary on a lot of knives. The triangulation from the pivot to the end of scales provides sufficient stability. Yes you may be able to flex the liners with hard lateral pressure, but, what? The reduction in weight and the fit is the main issue and it is significant. I have to confess to throwing my shorts in the laundry and going back to retrieve my user when the original 'weight test of pocket' wasn't enough to detect it before the wash. Anyway, we have got to move on from tapered blades in square/paralel recesses, isn't it? Ig\
    Thank you kindly sir!

Lapedog likes this.
  12. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I really hope that the tapered handle folding knife design takes off and that you have your name attatched to it. It is these simple yet genius ideas that revolutionize the knife world and hopefully someone will pick it up.

Like when Chris Reeve invented the framelock. Simple and when you first see it brilliant idea! But it takes people like you to have that stroke of simple genius that once you see it seems so obvious.

That is a real type of inventiveness, the typenwhere you look at it and go “why hasn’t it always been done like this?”

You make a beautiful knife sir. Of a design that is all your own. The look is outstanding like it would be right at home with those expensive lighters from the ‘50s and ‘60s. Pure class!

ilknives likes this.
  13. Boggs

Boggs Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2007
    You really are bringing it...

ilknives likes this.
  14. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    That is one cool little jewel of a knife, very nice.

ilknives likes this.
  15. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Mine will echo other comments but again, incredible work!

ilknives likes this.
  16. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i would buy one of those :)

ilknives likes this.
  17. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    That is v nice of you to say, grateful, Ig

That is quite a compliment, humbled, thank you

Thank you
    Thank you. It is quite dainty but light and easy in the pocket.
    Thank you

18. ilknives

Oct 19, 2017
    I forgot... Here is the tree the scales come from (traceability!):
    https://www.ancient-yew.org/userfiles/file/Penallt March 2015.pdf