Sad to see what SOG has become

The Sogzilla is a joke and I refuse to buy such a blatant copy or any other product that comes from said copy cat company. That is my beef with SOG, and I am sure many others have this complaint.

The Sogzilla is a joke and I refuse to buy such a blatant copy or any other product that comes from said copy cat company. That is my beef with SOG, and I am sure many others have this complaint.
I don't agree with that complaint but as you said, some do and I have seen copy cat comments a few times. I'm not really sure what knives people think SOG has copied. I'd like to hear some examples though. If I took a guess I'd say maybe some people think SOG got the idea for the SOGzilla from Spyderco's Endura. But I could be wrong. After all it's not really the same but it looks similar I guess. btw I don't have the SOGZilla but I do have the Endura. ;]

Perhaps it is the case of the higher up the SOG 'food chain' you go, the less problems you run into.
That's what I hear. My son and I both use a SOG fixed blade for our outdoor excursions and besides the sheath falling apart on one of them, we have had zero complaints about the fixed blades themselves.

Sog folders made in Japan are top notch!!!Some fixed blades are good for price, and some are overpriced for what you get.......

Hmmm, interesting, I would wager that I have owned/own at least 30 different SOG knives at one time, though I mostly focus on acquiring their older Seki models (Tomcat, Tomcat cocobolos, Stingrays and the like) I carried a Sog Flash II for 3 years straight before I moved into handmades, I loved that knife so much that i bought several for gifts over the years and had every SOG flash II version they made at one point (including two rainbow titatniums ;) hence my profile pic. I have a Scuba demo, 5th special forces, and sbr80 on the way all like new. I take my SOG hunting serious as its getting difficult to find most of their older stuff. Great quality classics, and i can appreciate their efforts and new business ventures to entice the young buyers coming up now wanting affordable "cool" designs.

Hmmm, interesting, I would wager that I have owned/own at least 30 different SOG knives at one time, though I mostly focus on acquiring their older Seki models (Tomcat, Tomcat cocobolos, Stingrays and the like) I carried a Sog Flash II for 3 years straight before I moved into handmades, I loved that knife so much that i bought several for gifts over the years and had every SOG flash II version they made at one point (including two rainbow titatniums ;) hence my profile pic. I have a Scuba demo, 5th special forces, and sbr80 on the way all like new. I take my SOG hunting serious as its getting difficult to find most of their older stuff. Great quality classics, and i can appreciate their efforts and new business ventures to entice the young buyers coming up now wanting affordable "cool" designs.

...may be... the problem is that, in my opinion, everything has gone to the expense of quality... unfortunately...

Well, since this old thread got dug up today, and I read it, I feel I should comment. To all the folks above who complained about SOG making Chinese junk, you need to look at where their blades are actually made before you say such things. Most of SOGs knives are not made in China. In fact only a few are. All of their assisted open blades that people complain about are assembled in the USA by USA workers and the blade steel comes from Taiwan. Most of their fixed blades are made in Taiwan. All of their VG-10 stuff is made in Japan. Other big companies actually do make stuff in China, but SOG not so much...

I own a lot of SOGs, mostly fixed blades. People complain about the assisted knifes but the 3 I have are very good. My Aegis mini sees use several days a week as a workout/gym knife. My full-sized Aegis gets carried every so often as well even though I have 20 or so other knives of higher quality (and price) that I could be carrying. And my Flash II put in 3 years of good old every day service and really jump started me into the knife collector I am today. For $35 the FLash II is not to bad of a deal IMO. From my experience, when tuned properly, like many other brands, a SOG assisted opening knife can be almost completely free of blade play. Sorry if other folks can't make their knives work the way they want but I can with mine.

For me, SOG fixed blades are great, both Seki and Taiwanese. I have not had a single problem with any of my 11 or so SOG fixed blades.

And to the Original poster who just came into the SOG FORUM and posted blatant unsubstantiated hate? Really? Come on man......:barf:

I think a couple of the most under rated knives around are the Sog Pentagon Elite I & II and the Vulcan.

Outstanding knives on many levels. Great ergo's, very good Seki made VG-10 steel and the Arc lock is as smooth as it gets. The blade on the PEII is truly impressive and one of my favorite knives.

I think it's a shame most don't know about these great knives. Try one and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think SOG is at a point of low quality. However, they have reached a point in a fashion that Spyderco, Kershaw, and Boker have in that they have a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide variation between different products they produce. They make some very high-end designs, but they also make some entry-level models in which the quality is traded up for super value. Depending on the products used, impressions will vary substantially on quality.

This may not be the best marketing practice for obvious reasons and because all models carry the same name and different products may be cross-compared in a fashion that isn't appropriate.

SOG uses a lot of VG-10 on their mid-level folders and extensively utilizes different locks and many of the very strong plastics/fiber products, which to me are characteristics of a high-quality folder. I think they also do a good job with the shape/geometry on their blades as a general rule.

Why do you need a knife in a gym?

You never know when or where you might need to cut something. Suppose I get a terrible hang nail that needs taking care of while benching 1000lbs. What if one of the old ladies gets caught up in the new fangled weight machines, and I can heroically cut her to freedom! Perhaps a black bear wanders in to the steam room and I need to dispatch it and then skin it to make warm winter clothing for orphans.

Seriously though...I don't know why I carry a knife in the gym...but that is exactly why I carry a knife in the gym! If you're not prepared, your unprepared. Knowing is half the battle. Some other cliche phrase should go here....

Last edited:
While their fixed blade and upper end folders are decent, I hate their Taiwan lineup (Flash, Aegis, Trident, etc...)

Majority of them have up and down blade play and they are overpriced for what you pay for. Other companies offer a better product for less money.

I really do like SOG's designs but I just with they were executed better.

but they use AUS8 and charge a lot for their knives so that means its the best they have to offer because they say their innovative! lol

I own the trident fixed blade and every bit of it was worth it other than the steel being 4 points or so too soft. its so thick and such mild steel, i doubt it would ever break. also their machetes... 420/ 3cr13 in the high 40s rockwell hardness? 55 is plenty soft seriously... anything softer is becoming butter and will just smear off on to the wood youre cutting.
I do however love My magnadot and my seal pup, and i just scored a flash 2 for 25 bucks at the flea market im excited about. i have two fasthawks i throw all the time, i am MEAN to them, and theyve held together. not bad for the 20 dollar wal mart special. i think all sog products look really cool. i would pay hundred plus for like 3v large outdoor products, and vg 10 from spyderco is half the price of say the vulcan and other cool knives that lets be honest are not worth what theyre priced at. but i use tool steel for my knives so maybe im just spoiled.
I consider sog,gerber, crkt all in a similar category, above frost and other stainles made in pakistan knives by a long shot, but i think they should step it up in the near future.

I just figured you would leave it in your locker ,or something , at the gym , rather then have it in your pocket , that's all.

I must say that SOG does seem to become more parketed to the tacticool ninjas which isnt necessarily a bad thing but just notfor me. Ill like their seal pup line and my SEKI seal pup is going camping with me next week and Ill use it to demonstrate some survival tasks. Ive had that knife for 10 years now and it is a great fixed blade for the money.

I just figured you would leave it in your locker ,or something , at the gym , rather then have it in your pocket , that's all.

And exactly what good would it do me in my locker if I actually needed it on my person? Like Derek said above.....

I must say that SOG does seem to become more parketed to the tacticool ninjas which isnt necessarily a bad thing but just notfor me. Ill like their seal pup line and my SEKI seal pup is going camping with me next week and Ill use it to demonstrate some survival tasks. Ive had that knife for 10 years now and it is a great fixed blade for the money.

I agree, some of the newer designs they come out with are a bit outlandish. I don't think I need a flash light in my knife! That said, I love a lot of their classic fixed blade designs. And if you watch here on the exchange you can pick them up for not much money.

Back