Safe way to melt paraffin wax?

What's a safe way to melt paraffin wax? By safe I mean a way that won't heat it to the point where it vaporizes and becomes combustible. Planning on making paraffin wax impregnated jute.

Last edited:
Use an old slow cooker or a double boiler.

Or just use a coffee can and low heat source like a candle at the bottom

Use an old slow cooker or a double boiler.

Or just use a coffee can and low heat source like a candle at the bottom

How long would I have to heat the can to melt maybe 1/4 cup of wax with one tea candle? An hour or so? :confused:

Put it on the stove on low, and heat it up till its almost melted and take it off to let it melt fully. Or go the double boiler.

Nothing complicated to it, but if its on a flame then a double boiler is a good idea. I doubt its any worse than lard or fat, we use it all the time in pharmacy to make ointments etc, and if half my peers can do it with out burning the place down, anyone can.

Agree...double boiler. Just make sure you use old pots and never take your eyes off it(fire precaution). My ex used to make her own candles.

Would an empty Altoids tin with the lid off, with a piece of wax in it on a coil-type stove on low heat work?

I learned the hard way to use a double boiler set up. :( I would suggest NOT using direct heat.
Now I use an old beat up pot that nests about half way into another that holds the water. I don't even have to bother cleaning the wax out when I'm done.

DITTO what fishshooter stated. If ya don't have some old pots try a small size coffee can in a pot of water. Better safe then sorry.

Would it work if I poured some water in a good pot, placed some wax in an Altoids tin, let it float in the water, then turn the heat on and let the water boil?

I have a doulbe boiler with a 1 quart mason jar of beewax in it that's always ready to go (since I use it more than once a week for knife stuff) and the trick is low heat, patience, and letting it get FULLY melted.

I have a doulbe boiler with a 1 quart mason jar of beewax in it that's always ready to go (since I use it more than once a week for knife stuff) and the trick is low heat, patience, and letting it get FULLY melted.

With a double boiler, would you be able to set the temperature higher than without one, in order to make the water boil faster, then lower the temp once the water starts boiling?

With a double boiler, would you be able to set the temperature higher than without one, in order to make the water boil faster, then lower the temp once the water starts boiling?

sure. In my case, I'm using beeswax, and don't want to overcook/heat it. For paraffin go ahead and turn the heat up a bit- the inside can't go above boiling.....

DITTO what fishshooter stated. If ya don't have some old pots try a small size coffee can in a pot of water. Better safe then sorry.

What dingobubba said, or what I use - an empty beer can in an soup can with boiling water.

Definitely use some kind of double boiler set up, though. And don't use an Altoids tin - the tin isn't deep enough and the water can splash into the wax or maybe the Altoids tin will overturn, or maybe..................

Doc

Stupid question, but just to get it out of the way; the can with the wax in it is floating in the water, correct? Would it be better to cover the container, or just leave it open in the boiling water? Also, do I need a specific amount of water? Oh and, can the container be glass or would it be better if it were metal?

Last edited:
as others have mentioned DOUBLE BOILER only for melting wax.

other safety tips:

- MEDIUM heat only, preferably an ELECTRIC range. There is a veyr high risk of igniting wax vapours when using a GAS stove.

- Devote your entire attention to the melting pot. Do not turn away to go take a piss, or answer the door or phone. ALL eyes on the melting pot. This may seem safety nanny'ish but trust me.........i've seen what melting wax can do fire wise to a structure and a persons body.

- thick leather gloves, LONG sleeve shirt, shoes etc etc etc

- as soon as all the wax is melted, shut off the burner and move both the pot and wax pot together, THEN remove the wax pot and set away from the stove on a hard surface.

- Keep cats, dogs and KIDS away from the room. Cats like to get under our feet and no one feels good dumping hot wax on a little kitty.

as others have mentioned DOUBLE BOILER only for melting wax.

other safety tips:

- MEDIUM heat only, preferably an ELECTRIC range. There is a veyr high risk of igniting wax vapours when using a GAS stove.

- Devote your entire attention to the melting pot. Do not turn away to go take a piss, or answer the door or phone. ALL eyes on the melting pot. This may seem safety nanny'ish but trust me.........i've seen what melting wax can do fire wise to a structure and a persons body.

- thick leather gloves, LONG sleeve shirt, shoes etc etc etc

- as soon as all the wax is melted, shut off the burner and move both the pot and wax pot together, THEN remove the wax pot and set away from the stove on a hard surface.

- Keep cats, dogs and KIDS away from the room. Cats like to get under our feet and no one feels good dumping hot wax on a little kitty.

Would it be better to use a glass or metal container for the wax? Would it need a lid or can i just leave it open floating in the water?

metal container! glass can break and the resulting mix of hot wax and water can erupt onto the burner. Old pots or old coffee cans are great. (in other words dont use the GF's cooking pots.....dont ask.,,)

leave it open, and add enough water so the wax pot does'nt start floating about..... (dont overfill, the can could tip_)

Back