Safe ways to find a thrown knife in the grass or leaves?

It's me again, :D

Anyone know of safer methods to recover a thrown knife that has been lost in the grass or in fallen leaves? Stepping on an old knife is alot worse than stepping on an old nail--I learned from experience..

Thanks in advance,

Dark Seraphane

Strong magnets on the end of a hard rake. That's how we pick up nails and other metal at work. It can't be a stainless knife though, they aren't magnetic.

It can't be a stainless knife though, they aren't magnetic.

Stainless knives are magnetic. There are stainless steels that are not magnetic, but they are not used in knife blades, since they can't (for practical purposes) be hardened.

Or just regular rake. Just keep moving the leaves around. If it's a constant problem, be sure to get knives that are really shinny and keep them clean so they can be easier to spot.

Also, try clearing out the spot your going to throw in before time to try and avoid this. I know, I always lose track of my true flights...

Before the fact, Ralph Thorn recommended you paint them day glow colors. If they're practice knives, that's a great and inexpensive idea.

Wear shoes.

Get both a garden rake and a leaf rake. Start at the place you think is most likely for the knife to be. Rake that spot carefully with the leaf rake and make your way around and around in a spiral until you have an area large enough that you are sure the knife is not in it. Then start at the center and start raking the dirt with the garden rake.

If this doesn't work all you have left is a metal detector.

It seems like I have spent about as much time doing this process as throwing in my life. It's the worst part of knife throwing in the woods.

I've wrapped the shaft of all my darts with neon pink duct tape. sure its not the manliest of looks but they're really easy to find now.

Good idea, I may be able to borrow a metal detector from a friend of mine. :D Next time,
though, I'll keep in mind the tips you all shared. Maybe I'll wrap the handles on mine too,
something bright & maybe even glow in the dark.

usually i have another person im throwing with...if it doesnt bother you, you can always put a brightly colored strip of tape near the middle of the blade or somewhere on it that wont bother you so its easily spotted

usually i have another person im throwing with...if it doesnt bother you, you can always put a brightly colored strip of tape near the middle of the blade or somewhere on it that wont bother you so its easily spotted

This is one of the best solutions. If we have enough people, I'll put a spotter far off to one side of the target to see where the misses go. I've never lost a knife with a spotter--only when I didn't.

It's me again, :D

Anyone know of safer methods to recover a thrown knife that has been lost in the grass or in fallen leaves? Stepping on an old knife is alot worse than stepping on an old nail--I learned from experience..

Thanks in advance,

Dark Seraphane

I've stepped on more that one of my shurikens.....they REALLY don't feel good. But anyway, I've used a rake in the past. It works sometimes and other times it doesn't. So it isn't the most reliable thing in the world.

Too late now if your knife is lost, but I've used reflective tape (paint would work too) on the blade. Wait until dark, go out with a flashlight - it will reveal itself.

Use a lawnmower! Lol jk! But using a simple hard prong rake works best for me. However the pink tape looks like a good idea. I also found out the hard way how to find a throwing knife in leafs. Well my ankle found out the hard way as it went about a half inch into the side and hit bone.

Back