SAK Floral knife

Especially if you reprofile them to a zero grind. Doesn't hold the edge long, but it'll cut like a laser.

But the beauty of the chisel grind is, that its already a zero grind on one side. The chisel grind is a great blade grind, slices like the dickens, and is use by Japanese sushi chefs because it will slice tissue thin salmon or other material almost translucent. I think the chisel grind is a very misunderstood blade grind that is a great all around box opener and slicer. and it will go through a finger thick bush branch or vine like magic.

I received a 100mm Vic floral knife as a deal sweetener on a used knife that I bought. It's suuuuper sharp. It looks like you could use it to shave your face. I'm not sure if that's how it comes from the factory or if the guy who gave it to me made it sharper. I know there are some people who think that you can never get a knife as sharp or better than it came from the factory, but speaking from personal experience, that's simply not true. I've gotten several factory edges from Victorinox that were easily improved on with a few passes on the brown sticks of my Spyderco Sharpmaker.

But the beauty of the chisel grind is, that its already a zero grind on one side. The chisel grind is a great blade grind, slices like the dickens, and is use by Japanese sushi chefs because it will slice tissue thin salmon or other material almost translucent. I think the chisel grind is a very misunderstood blade grind that is a great all around box opener and slicer. and it will go through a finger thick bush branch or vine like magic.
I always take mine just a little thinner, and reprofile the ground side to where there's no edge bevel. Last one I did that too, I made sure to write a warning on the handle, because everyone at work was too used to dull knives, and I was worried they'd hurt themselves.

These floral knives are nice,i wish they had same models with 3,5 or4 inch blades,they would be great for cutting food

These floral knives are nice,i wish they had same models with 3,5 or4 inch blades,they would be great for cutting food

For food use, I haven't found anything to beat the serrated Victorinox paring knives. I have several in my kitchen drawer and they are my main cutters aside from a Victoriox chefs knife. My wife Karen has phased other Opinel number 8 in her purse for the folding Victorinox paring knife. Darn thing cuts like the dickens!

I have several victorinox serrated and plain edge knives,youre right,theyre excellent ,cut like nothing else,are sturdy and can be used for any task from food to camping to even defense.Easy to sharpen and hold edge well for my uses,and very easy to sharpen.Pple that really use knives will really appreciate these.Opinel paring knives are there too,and steel is even little better on them,i have their birds beak paring knife on order too,will make a leather sheath for it from old cowboy boots,and will make excellent neck/utility knife.

For food use, I haven't found anything to beat the serrated Victorinox paring knives. I have several in my kitchen drawer and they are my main cutters aside from a Victoriox chefs knife. My wife Karen has phased other Opinel number 8 in her purse for the folding Victorinox paring knife. Darn thing cuts like the dickens!
I'll second these recommendations! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
I have a serrated Vic paring knife that's my favorite in the kitchen (although I'm probably prejudiced since the only kitchen knife I used for almost 30 years was a cheap plastic-handled serrated steak knife). I also have a slightly longer non-serrated Vic "utility" knife that's also a dream for many aspects of food prep. They're shown below with a sheath that came with the black-handled knife, but the red knife also fits in the sheath just fine. (The knife with the wooden handle is an Otter paring knife that's also great for food prep.)
3paring+sheath.jpg

I'm also a big fan of my folding paring knife, and want to get the serrated model too. My only complaint is the rounded tip on the Vic paring knife prevents the knife from doing some jobs you'd expect a paring knife to do (e.g., removing stems from strawberries). It's a big knife, as shown by the pic comparing it to a Rough Rider folding hunter.
fldprng.mark.Vflat.rock.jpg
fldprng.RRfldhntr.comp.open.jpg

- GT

Back