SAK for first aid kit

Assuming that you already have a blade on you, for me the next important tool in a FAK would be scissors. Although the scissors on a SAK are good, I'd buy a dedicated pair of quality rescue scissors for a FAK.

To add a SAK for a pair of backup scissors, I'd recommend the Ambassador for a SAK. It is a bit larger than the Classic, comes with an extra small blade, but still thin and light.

I like the Wenger Nail Clipper 580 in my travel FAK- seems to hold up well to the tasks I set it.
I have found personal grooming is required sometimes, field surgery not-so-much.

I have a small EKA folder with a larger and a small blade in my first aid kit in my pack. I have a separate pair of scissors since I never found the SAK-ones efficient enough when going through thick canvases or jeans. I got scissors from a drugstore, costed practically nothing. Thinking about skipping the entire folding knife-idea though and going with regular scalpels that weigh less and cost less, and are obviously better for cutting in people.

I have a small EKA folder with a larger and a small blade in my first aid kit in my pack. I have a separate pair of scissors since I never found the SAK-ones efficient enough when going through thick canvases or jeans. I got scissors from a drugstore, costed practically nothing. Thinking about skipping the entire folding knife-idea though and going with regular scalpels that weigh less and cost less, and are obviously better for cutting in people.

Not really a fan of SAK scissors.

FWIW, I have a three-tier FAK system. 1st tier is a micro kit that is part of my extended EDC. Normally, it resides in my Jeep and works for most all small minor wounds I come across. It includes a scalpel and scissors. Not considered part of my FAK but, my extended EDC kit also includes shears, multi-tool, and an Alox SAK. The SAK is for when I forget or lose my carry knife. Or, I get someplace and realize my carry knife is not appropriate for my environment.

My 2nd tier is a fanny pack that I can take with me when my wife and I are out and about. It works nicely along with a day pack if I am hiking. It includes shears and a Benchmade strap cutter. Don't remember if it has a scalpel or not. This also normally resides in my Jeep but if we are traveling in my wife's car, I'll take it along.

3rd tier is part of my bug out gear. It's a full-size trauma daypack that stays at home most of the time but I have been known to take it on road trips. It is used to restock my other kit, as needed.

Christy Knife fits most Altoids and actually is a scalpel in a sliding case...

The SAK pliers are great for pulling splinters.
I am pretty sure the model I have in my car first aid kit is a Deluxe Tinker.

The SAK pliers are great for pulling splinters.
I am pretty sure the model I have in my car first aid kit is a Deluxe Tinker.
Yes, they are great as tweezers. I think they are better than the poor, wussy tweezers SAK provides.
One of my favorite models is the Mechanic. If they just added a file and a corkscrew, it would be perfect, IMO.

Camper. Use the corkscrew to open, and drink a bottle of wine. When drunk saw your leg off with saw because you got bit on the thigh by a rabid Honey Badger. After amputation kill said Honey Badger with the large blade. Cook, and eat Honey Badger. Use tooth pick to clean your teeth.

For me the clear choice is the Executive. In fact, I think the Exec should have been called the Medic. I do keep mine in my FAK.

Two sharp and *thin* blades are all around useful. The scissors for cutting gauze patches and pieces of moleskin. Tweezers for splinters.

And... that much maligned orange peeler blade is perfect for removing first aid tape and stuck patches of anything. Because it’s essentially blunt on the end, you can slide it under the tape without cutting the patient, then rotate it and cut through the tape.

Perfect size too... I really don’t get the suggestions for SAKs like the Climber or Huntsman. Those go in your pocket, and you should already have it with you. This knife is for a back-up or — more likely — for someone other than you, a non-SAK-carrier, who needs to use your first aid kit... maybe to fix *you* up!

I have a Huntsman in my med kit in the car. Mostly beacause of the scissors, but I also have the pin which is use for picking a splinter.

I bought a small put together kit. It included scissors and tweezers. I threw in a sak floral knife. The blade shape is good for cutting away clothing or as a scalpel, even digging out splinters. Full size light tools work better for me than small SAK tools in a possible emergency.

Back