1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SAK G10 scale question

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by MTB, Aug 7, 2019.

1. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    Tried posting this over in the Swissbianco forum but it seems pretty slow over there. I figured someone here might have some input.

Been a long time SAK user and I just recently purchased my first set of Swissbianco G10 scales. I cant wait to get them! I was wondering, after epoxying the scales on, does anyone know of a way to take the scales off without damaging them or the knife? I'm thinking just in case I ever need to send my Swisschamp in for service. I would hate to break the scales to get them off or the knife never be servicable. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    836861D4-D421-47FD-B2F0-EBD11AE944F5.jpeg Norton makes a tool that worked pretty well for removing the wooden scales on my G Sekai Japanese “SAK”.

MTB likes this.
  3. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    Do they actually need to be epoxied? I have used clear silicone adhesive in the past on scales that would no longer pop into place.

MTB likes this.
  4. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    Tiguy7, Thanks for the recommendation!

NMpops, That was actually going to be my next question. I have used Shoe-Goo on some cellidor scales that no longer held onto the bushings. It works pretty good. I might just test that out first.

5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I talked to the Swiss Bianco guy at the Blade Show. He was selling glue-on side plates in various metals and recommended epoxy.

6. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    Yeah, I saw a video of his specifically recommending JB Weld 2 part epoxy. I will use that for sure, but I am curios to see how long a silicone based adhesive lasts. If I can get by using a less permanent adhesive that would be great.

7. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I've been thinking about purchasing a set myself. I'd like to hear how you like them once you get them.

8. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    I just received the G10 scales in the mail today. As expected, they are nicely profiled and look awesome on the knife. The aluminum spacers on the knife do stick out past one end of the scales slightly. Not really a big deal I guess. I attached them simply by snapping them into place for now. No adhesive of any kind yet. I used thick leather to pad the jaws of my vise and was able to apply light, even pressure. They snapped on nice and tight. No gaps. I don’t plan on using adhesive until they come loose. I really like the looks and feel of these scales. Not having the pin and pen on board might take a bit of getting used to though. I don’t use them often, but when I do I’m sure glad I have it.

On the subject of adhesives. My old worn out red scales that these are replacing had come loose weeks ago. I popped them off the rest of the way and used Shoe Goo to reattach them. When I tried to take them off today I had to get a razor blade. They were held on so tight I couldn’t get a small screwdriver between the scale and spacer. When the time comes to use adhesive on the G10 scales Shoe Goo or another silicone adhesive will be my first choice. I want to see how well it holds to the G10.

Ace Rimmer and Crazy Canuck like this.
  9. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    I've used clear silicone to attach standard plastic scales to SAKs with no issue. As MTB noted above the silicone adhesive seems to work well.

10. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    What, no photos?

11. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    I apparently still don’t know how to post photos. I downloaded one to imgur, copy and pasted the link in another thread, and it still doesn’t show up. Any tips?

12. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    [​IMG]

Finally figured out how to post pictures!

Ok, so as I said before, I had just press fit the scales onto the knife. Well Saturday they began to work themselves loose. Not bad enough to fall off but I decided to go ahead and take them off so I could experiment with a silicon adhesive. I used Shoe Goo and put three little dabs of adhesive on each scale where the pins go as per Swissbianco instructions. I set the knife in the leather padded jaws of my vise with light to medium pressure and let the adhesive cure for about 30hrs. It recommended 24-48 depending on conditions. I am carrying it today at work and so far so good. Seeing as how well Shoe Goo held the cellidor scales on, I don't expect any issues.

13. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I can't imagine losing the toothpick and tweezers on purpose. Am I missing something?

14. MTB

MTB

Jun 23, 2019
    I didn’t loose the toothpick and tweezers. I lost the pin and pen. Still getting used to it but I haven’t needed them yet. Down the road, I might carve a groove in the scale to carry the pin like factory scales.

15. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Aha! Cool. Looking at the pics on my phone I wasn't able to see the T/T ARE there.