SAK insignia and markings

The nine SAKs that I own seem to have a variety of insignias and markings on the blade and handle. They all have the famous "VICTORINOX SWITZERLAND STAINLESS ROSTFREI" on the main blade, even the little Rambler. Beyond that, they seem to fall into several categories:

1. Rambler - No other markings on blade except for "VICTORINOX...". Not a lot of extra room for it! Has silver shield on red cellidor scales.

2. Midsize - Tinker, FieldMaster, etc. On opposite side of main blade from "VICTORINOX...", has "OFFICIER SUISSE" and two symbols. One is a cross and the other looks like an umbrella or a stylized crossbow. Has silver shield on red cellidor scales.

3. Electrician - Purchased from US shop. On opposite side of main blade from "VICTORINOX ...", has "99" stamped. Silver cross, no shield, on silver Alox scales.

4. Pioneers - Purchased from Swiss shop. No other markings on blade except for "VICTORINOX ...". Silver cross and shield with red background on silver Alox scales.

Does anyone know for sure what the peculiar symbol is on the midsize knives? A crossbow is my guess, since I recall them being used by medieval European armies.

Is the "99" stamped on the Electrician its year of manufacture? I can't remember exactly when I bought it, but that sounds about right.

Why the difference in markings? Is it because the knives were made in different years or at different manufacturing sites?

Does anyone else have other markings?

I tried to search for this topic, but couldn't think of unique enough terms for the query.

Your guess is right, it's a crossbow.
I have read somewhere, that this is symbol of excellence given by some Swiss industrial or business organization.
My guess will be that the crossbow refers to Wilhelm Tell, the legendary Swiss national hero.

I found a reference to the crossbow symbol eg. here:

http://www.the-ekd.co.uk/1024/switzerland.htm

Originally posted by tarsier
Is the "99" stamped on the Electrician its year of manufacture? I can't remember exactly when I bought it, but that sounds about right.
Yes. The manufacturing date is stamped on all of the Soldier models. I had an Electrician but do not remember it having a date stamp. My 98 Pioneer has a date stamp.

The crossbow is the swiss symbol of excellence (reference to william tell), wenger is the only other cutlery manufacturer authorized to use it. The markings varying from different models is nothing significant. The 98 stamp is the blade manufacture date. It uses the same blade that is on the soldier model, all blades on soldier models bear the date of manufacture.

Thanks for the info, guys.

littleknife, that was a very informative link.

I have an electrician from sometime in the late 80's, early 90's with no date marking. Handle is silver alox with a silver cross, main blade only has the usual "Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rostfrei".

Back