1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SAK Tinker

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by stevekolt, Jul 19, 2019.

1. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Two questions. Is this realistic as a keychain knife, or is it too large? Does anybody have a picture?
    I currently have Classics filling that role, but I think I want a larger blade, but I hate losing the scissors.

2. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I think it's to big. Maybe a Executive or Ambassador would be a better choice.

3. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I carry a Tinker in my pocket all the time; it's my EDC. but IMHO it's to big for a keychain knife.
    Rich

4. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Check out the 84mm Tinker.

5. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    With modern car keys, be veeeery careful of how much weight you put on it. The things are plastic including where the keyring goes through, and the wifes 2013 Toyota Camry key cracked from too much stuff on the keyring. Those all electric smart keys are expensive to replace!

I keep any keychain knife down to 58mm. But...I've stopped keeping a keychain knife on my keys with the new car. Car key, house key, Fenix E01 and thats it. And I'm rethinking the Fenix. My old Toyota Tacoma was a 2001, and it had an all metal key. This 2019 Corolla is all plastic. I ain't gonna chance it.

Prester John and DocT like this.
  6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I use a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt. It has tiny blade and scissors. I never use the scissors, but it's there. My regular carry SAK is now the Small Tinker.... I would say it is borderline too large but I know my Squirt is heavier.

My wife's 2019 Toyota has the push button start. You could certainly attach a knife to it as it does not hang from the ignition switch. I drive a 2017 Tacoma. Still need a pickup, but as I get older that may change. We had accidents that forced us to buy new vehicles and after discussions on the merits of used vs new, we went "new". I loved my old '97 Tacoma; a fender bender totaled it. Fantastic little truck that never left me stranded in 15+ years of ownership.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies, definitely some things to think about here. Much appreciated!

8. Christopher W

Christopher W Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 18, 2006
    I carry the small Tinker with me most of the time. I keep it in my pocket with my keys where it rides unnoticed until needed. I think it's a little big for the keychain but great still as an EDC.

Jeff_R, jmh33 and mnblade like this.
  9. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I don't carry any knife, even a small one, on a keyring. I don't like having a set of keys hanging off the knife whenever I want to use it. I carry my Executive loose in my right front pocket, and also my Spartan (the same as a Tinker, but with a corkscrew in place of the Phillips) loose in my left front pocket.

Jim

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I'd say the tinker is and probably the 84mm mini tinker as well.