SAK Tinker

stevekolt

Gold Member
Two questions. Is this realistic as a keychain knife, or is it too large? Does anybody have a picture?
I currently have Classics filling that role, but I think I want a larger blade, but I hate losing the scissors.

I think it's to big. Maybe a Executive or Ambassador would be a better choice.

I carry a Tinker in my pocket all the time; it's my EDC. but IMHO it's to big for a keychain knife.
Rich

With modern car keys, be veeeery careful of how much weight you put on it. The things are plastic including where the keyring goes through, and the wifes 2013 Toyota Camry key cracked from too much stuff on the keyring. Those all electric smart keys are expensive to replace!

I keep any keychain knife down to 58mm. But...I've stopped keeping a keychain knife on my keys with the new car. Car key, house key, Fenix E01 and thats it. And I'm rethinking the Fenix. My old Toyota Tacoma was a 2001, and it had an all metal key. This 2019 Corolla is all plastic. I ain't gonna chance it.

I use a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt. It has tiny blade and scissors. I never use the scissors, but it's there. My regular carry SAK is now the Small Tinker.... I would say it is borderline too large but I know my Squirt is heavier.

My wife's 2019 Toyota has the push button start. You could certainly attach a knife to it as it does not hang from the ignition switch. I drive a 2017 Tacoma. Still need a pickup, but as I get older that may change. We had accidents that forced us to buy new vehicles and after discussions on the merits of used vs new, we went "new". I loved my old '97 Tacoma; a fender bender totaled it. Fantastic little truck that never left me stranded in 15+ years of ownership.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, definitely some things to think about here. Much appreciated!

I don't carry any knife, even a small one, on a keyring. I don't like having a set of keys hanging off the knife whenever I want to use it. I carry my Executive loose in my right front pocket, and also my Spartan (the same as a Tinker, but with a corkscrew in place of the Phillips) loose in my left front pocket.

Jim

Back