SAK's In The Hospital.

Tuesday night, I was packing a small bag for my hospital stay involving knee re[placement. It was predicted that I would be in from very early Wednesday morning to Saturday morning. Toothbrush, a few things, PJ's. I was going with fairly empty pockets for anti theft mode, but at the last moment I packed my classic and Fenix E01. They came in handy.

I was surprised at how much of the meals served involved plastic wrapped items. or items that had a pull tab that tore off before doing the job of opening the orange juice or iced tea.

At night they turned the lights down, and the little Fenix came in handy to read by since I couldn't sleep wth all the gizmos I was hooked to. They had these things velcroed on my feet that would inflate for about 10 seconds to put pressure to aid in circulation and prevent blood clots, to an ice jacket that was around my knee to keep it cool and swelling down. Not a sleep friendly environment. It felt sooooo damm good to be back home in my own bed.

Never goes to show where you may need a SAK.

I hope you have a fast and safe recovery. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

I always bring a folder with me for hospital stays after the one time I got stuck trying to open a cream cheese packets with my teeth, a plastic butter knife and indomitable will.

Not so much the cream cheese, but the liquids like ice tea came in a flimsy plastic cup with a pull off foil lid. Now, I can't tell you what kind of glue they put that foil on with, or it it was some sort of UFO material, but it was the situation that I just knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the ice tea was going to be all over the place, and mostly on me. The classic neatly slit the top off. Same with the plastic packet that held the fork and butting knife and condiments.

Not arguing the benefit of having a SAK with you. For the record you are supposed to stab the straw through the foil lid. That way if you knock it over it wont spill.

After you pulled off the lid did you drink out of the “cup”?

Not arguing the benefit of having a SAK with you. For the record you are supposed to stab the straw through the foil lid. That way if you knock it over it wont spill.

After you pulled off the lid did you drink out of the “cup”?

Tried that. All it did was bend the straw. Looked for a lpace that may have been made to stab through, but not apparent , especially pumped full of pain meds. Just ended up drinking it from the plastic cup.

Glad you're back home, and best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!

Hope you are back on your feet soon Carl. Just make sure you leave the SAK in the room if you go in for an MRI. Otherwise, things could get....interesting.

Looks like I’m late to the party by about six months. I would just like to say how much I’ve enjoyed your posts over the years. I guess youre back on your feet by now. Best of luck to you and thank you for all the great stories.

Tuesday night, I was packing a small bag for my hospital stay involving knee re[placement. It was predicted that I would be in from very early Wednesday morning to Saturday morning. Toothbrush, a few things, PJ's. I was going with fairly empty pockets for anti theft mode, but at the last moment I packed my classic and Fenix E01. They came in handy.

I was surprised at how much of the meals served involved plastic wrapped items. or items that had a pull tab that tore off before doing the job of opening the orange juice or iced tea.

At night they turned the lights down, and the little Fenix came in handy to read by since I couldn't sleep wth all the gizmos I was hooked to. They had these things velcroed on my feet that would inflate for about 10 seconds to put pressure to aid in circulation and prevent blood clots, to an ice jacket that was around my knee to keep it cool and swelling down. Not a sleep friendly environment. It felt sooooo damm good to be back home in my own bed.

Never goes to show where you may need a SAK.
I get my rt.knee done this yr.I already have it set for OCT.!However...cking out ROBOTIC TKR here in Miami.....thinking about going that route!
JIM

Back