Sal or somebody, I've got some questions

Will the upcoming VG-10 Enduras and Delicas be available with stainless steel handles and stainless steel clips? Also, what you think the price will be?? And Lastly, when will they be available???

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jefroman. No plans at this time to make the ss version. Sorry, The ss versions are price point models. vg-10 would defeat the price point.

sal

A "Price point" model is one where the retail price was considered and the model was created to have a less expensive piece. Many ELU wanted a SS model that costs less than the top line SS models, so we produced the Endura & Delica II to fit that need. The AUS-6 steel, though a good steel, is not as exotic as the ATS, VG10 & CPM steels that we use on our normal high end models.

sal

It certainly would be nice to have at least *one* midsized steel handled model with VG-10...

Edited to add: Of course, the Lum Chinese is a great substitute!

Well, that leaves me in the awkward position of preferring a discontinued model: the Rookie.

Here's my thinking: Stainless steel is quite strong (a psychological factor if nothing else), reasonably inexpensive, and has fairly nice looks. Not a super standout in any particular area (except strength), but a good compromise overall. The two biggest drawbacks are weight and slippryness. (It also scratches fairly easily, but it doesn't detract from the appearance as much as with some materials.)

On a slim midsized model like the Rookie, the weight isn't a problem, and the handle is well enough designed that (for my purposes at least), the grip is fine. (I have two stainless Rookies, plain edge and serrated.) Oh, and another advantage of stainless -- it allows the knife to be slimmer; my stainless Rookie was my first real EDC, because it carried so well.

With a larger model like the Native, the weight is just starting to become an issue, and it already has a pretty good steel (AUS-10), if not quite as good as VG-10. (I have one of these too...)

I think the Delica would work well too, or the Calypso Jr.

Actually, now that I think about it, the (stainless) Calypso Jr. might be the best overall choice. It wouldn't be quite as heavy as the Native, and has IMO an easier to grip handle.

I'm enough of a knifeknut that I'd be just as happy with a titanium handled knife (even with the greater expense), but there may well be a market for a slim, very sturdy, less expensive VG-10 model.

Back