1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sal sighting at the Oregon Knife Collectors show

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by David Richardson, Apr 12, 2019.

1. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Short story: Saw Sal working the Spyderco booth at the Oregon Knife Collectors Association show today. Didn't get to meet him.

Long story: Took 1/2 a day off work and went to the show this morning. The wife went with and we had to head out early as she's working nights this weekend.

This show is slow to start and vendors tend to trickle in during the day on Friday. I went by Spyderco and the booth was empty. We walked around the show. On our way back toward the Spyderco booth we saw a crowd - Spyderco had arrived. Only about 20% of the booths were set up and not many people were there. The Spyderco crowd was conspicuous since the rest of the show was mostly empty.

As I got closer to the booth I noticed Sal there. Very cool that he made time to come to this relatively small show. I think they hand out numbers and let people buy knives at a discount. Not sure if they go in order or if it's a lottery. I think people were there waiting for numbers to be called(?). Maybe they just wanted to talk to Sal.

The booth was too crowded for me to see any knives and the people (and a dog) were packed in pretty tightly. We were short on time and decided to leave.

I may head back tomorrow. The Spyderco booth is likely to be more crowded during the weekend than it was today. Hoping to say hi to Sal and see what they have.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    The Spydie tables are the first place I head each year when I walk through the doors. Sal and Eric are there and if you can get to the table through all the other spydie-fiends you can fondle all the new knives, and the pretty likely knives, and the maybe- in-the-future prototypes, and chat with them about their thoughts. No photos allowed, or I would take and post many.

I really like the nirvana 2.0, slightly shorter and wider than the 1.0 or the Paysan. And I really hope they make the bolstered version of the Bradley 2, it is sooo classy!

3. MyLegsAreOk

MyLegsAreOk Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2017
    He's still working that reassuring. I wonder how long we can keep him designing and going to shows. He's a natural, he was inventing and selling his stuff way before the knives or the father of the sharpmaker were even a thing.

Do you have images of the nirvana 2.0? I do google searches and come up with the one with all the holes in the handles that's from rizz himself.

4. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    If you go back and get a chance to talk for a sec, ask him what knife he's carrying.

5. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Well, tell us. Don't torture us, bro. :(

6. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Huh? I dunno what he's carrying. But it's always neat to see what he is. I'm just suggesting because alot of threads like this one and interviews they always ask him and he's always carrying an awesome spyderco. I think a few months ago someone asked him what he was carrying and he pulled out the new bowie fixed blade knife they just released. Now that's super cool. At blade he was carrying the lightweight Para 3 which wasn't even out yet at the time. So yea, you might see something very cool and unique or a prototype or something that will be released soon. It all varies.

7. David Richardson

David Richardson Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Went back this afternoon. Spyderco had left and somebody else was using their table. Hoping Sal shows up next year.

Very much appreciate him coming to Oregon. Not the largest show by a lot.

8. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade Knives, Big Brown Bear

Mar 22, 2014
    He was carrying a Police 4 lightweight. It had a slight patina on it from use and carry so that means Sal must really like the knife.

Eric was rocking a para 3 lightweight with BD1N. He gave it away to a lucky Spyderco fan. What a guy :D

9. DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    Spyderco stays Friday and Saturday but they leave on Sunday to pack and fly out.

David Richardson likes this.
  10. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Good times were had by all.

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  11. DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    Halden had the nicest EDC at the show. He pulled out his Drunken. I was blown away by the action and fit and finish. Good stuff brother. Love the knife.

12. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I can’t wait to put that new edge on it! :D

DeadboxHero likes this.