Saltwater Resistance ???

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
I'm about to purchase a Military, and I can get it in either the ATS-34 or the 440-V steel. I would like to know a little more about the saltwater resistance offered by the two different steels. Is one clearly superior to the other? Or are they comparable as far as corrosion resistance?

I do quite a bit of saltwater fishing throughout the summer, and I would like a knife that can hold up to the corrosive qualities of sea air and saltwater. I won't be constantly immersing the knife, but no doubt it will occasionally get wet. Of course, I will always rinse it with fresh water fairly soon afterwards (within the day).

Any help here would be appreciated.

Get youself a can of CRC 3-36 spray. I use it on all my dive knives and other gear. Never any rust. If you have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll get some more info. Pick the steel that works best for you and then make it rust proof.
biggrin.gif

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

Guyon - Both ATS-34 & CPM-440V are equally poor when compared to Stellite, Dendritic Cobalt, talonite or even 440C. Though much better that carbon steels void of chrome.

As suggested, taking care of it daily would be prudent. Both steels will provide good cutting power and edge retention and are made to be used.

sal

Back