San Antonio knife laws

I will be going to San Antonio in the next couple of months and want to take my Spyderco Delica and maybe another knife to carry around. I've read in recent posts they don't allow locking blade knives:confused: . So does that mean I can't carry my Delica or any locking blade knife? Some clarification please. Thank you for your time.

-DC2

This is a quote from the municipal code:

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
(b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
(1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
(3) Traveling;
(4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
(5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
(Code 1959, § 26-28.1)

Pathetic isn't it?! It's hard to believe that this town exists in Texas. (A wonderful state.)

Thank you, Gadgetman7. I've read that but don't understand it. Making a knife with a blade length under 5.5 inches illegal is stupid. It's like they're saying it's okay to have a knife with a six inch blade, right:rolleyes: . Oh well. So the Leatherman Wave is out of the picture then right? Thanks again.

-DC2

San Antonio's city ordinance only covers knives under 5.5 inches because the Texas Penal Code covers knives over 5.5 inches. Knives with blades over 5.5 inches are prohibited by state law, for carry "on or about the person." If I were not a peace officer, I would simply carry a fixed blade in San Antonio. (Being a peace officer, the ordinance does not affect me.)

Thank you for the reply, Rex G. But I have one more question: You said if you were NOT a peace officer, you'd carry a fixed blade into San Antonio. The law added "which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife." So this rules out fixed blades too, right? Just trying to clarify the situation and make sure that wasn't a type-o. Thank you again for your time.

-DC2

My interpretation of the San Antonio city ordinance is that it only applies to folding knives that lock the blade open. Perhaps there is another ordinance prohibiting fixed blades, but I have not heard of it.

I understand. I guess I'll just get a knife from one of their knife stores. Thank you for the information, Rex G.

-DC2

Back