Sand in my Military

Sal,

I have some grit in my Military and I can't get it out. I've tried flushing it with hot water, but it did nothing. What can I do? What is the best way to keep it working smoothly?

--------------------------------------
MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY
Fear the man that owns only one rifle,
he likely knows how to use it.
- Anonymous
Ben Lee
Computer Science
AOL IM: MSURifleman
www2.netdoor.com/~rifleman
www2.msstate.edu/~brl2

[This message has been edited by BenLeeMS (edited 05-31-2000).]

Did you try WD-40????

------------------
Big-Target>>>>>I'm not called that because I'm an anorexic midget!!!

Ben - Flushing with WD-40 mifght work. You might also try putting it into the dishwasher. You can always send it to us in Golden for "clean up".

sal

My wife would be suspicious if I started using the dishwasher.
smile.gif

Well, I have Rem Oil I was going to use, but I was afraid it would just gum it up with the sand/dirt/whatever is in there and make it gritty and gummy. I'd hate to send it back to y'all because I don't know if I could go that long without it!

Well, if your not afraid to take it apart yourself and botching your warranty, I'd do that...The way I always look at it is its my knife I'll do what I want with it...So far Ive been lucky!
smile.gif

But really its quite easy. Just back out the main pivot screw (T15), then the three handle screws (T6) on the same side. Then you can rotate the handle on the lynard hole out of the way to remove the blade. The knife's pivot pin will stay put as its pressed in there tight so I wouldnt worry about that. Careful of the washers! they are very thin.

While you have the blade out now is also a great time to get a dremel tool and add some grooves to the finger choil area like the old style has....Did it to mine and you cant tell the difference
smile.gif

Im sure more than a few folks here tinker with their Spyderco's then are willing to admit to it, at least the ones who dont think they may have to send it back someday...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Keith
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

I tried that but I don't have anything that fits the little screws on the handle. I've taken apart my benchmades a lot so I'm not worried about taking them apart. I used to be hardcore benchmade, but they've strayed away from normal users and only make knives for serial killers now. Spyderco is the light in the folder market. They make defense knives, but they also make knives for outdoorsmen too. Thanks for that Sal. BTW, Sal I met you once in New Orleans many years ago at an Industrial Boat show and my father and I got some kitchen knives from you and the Triangle sharpener. I was in high school then and I remember it like it was yesterday. You were nice as hell and we talked about your knives for a good long while.

------------------
- Anonymous
Ben Lee
Computer Science
www2.msstate.edu/~brl2

Ben - Thanx for the kind words. Not too much has changed in the philosophies, we just get older. Here I am at the Blade Show and I will still be talking to Dad's & their kids about knives. Hopefully, I'll still be nice.

You could try taking it apart to clean it. Try not to let the blade pivot rotate, as it adjusts the liner location. It's not rocket science and a few of the forumites have acutally re-adjusted the pivot. But it does adjust more easily with our custom tools and many get frustrated at not being able to "put it back together right".

Our Golden knifemakers do a very good job at building a quality piece. Let us know how it goes.

sal

I know what you mean, Its hard to find anything smaller than a T-7 size torx. I found a set for 6 dollars at a tool booth at a flea market. No one else has them...Sears, Hardware stores unless you special order them.

What about gun action cleaner? Will that damage the G-10? I've used it on a Ladybug with good results but never on G-10 handles.

When my knives get gritty I take them to work and we have a strong air compressor. I use a air hose on them and they clean right up.

Thanks Pete. I'll try that. We have canned air (insert quip here) to clean dust off of computer parts. I'll try that out and use some Rem Oil. If that don't work, I'll go buy the Benchmade Torx Kit. Sorry, Sal, but y'all don't have that!
smile.gif

------------------
- Anonymous
Ben Lee
Computer Science
www2.msstate.edu/~brl2

I find that a trip to the local gas station and using their air hose to blast my knife every now and again works well to keep it clean. Afterwards, a drop of White Lightening or Sentry Solution's "Tuff Glide" work well to inhibit any unwanted materials from building up inside your knife.
Worth a try.
Aloha~
Patti @ IDB

Back