Sandvik 12C27--Darrel?

Darrel,
Butch Winter, in a short article in the 11-98 issue of Tactical Knives, gives some information on this steel but basically sticks to quoting Sandvik. He did cite you as a smith who finds favor with it, specifically "agrres with me that 12C27, when properly heat-treated, is a steel to be reconed with."

The reason for my inquiry about this steel is that several marines serving with my son asked about the choice between the old 1095 KaBars and the new generation blades which employ 12C27. Elsewhere on the forums the opinions were uniformly in favor of the 1095 knives...the new edition being almost deemed junk due to the steel used.

What's your take on 12C27 and its use in the new KaBar? Is the older 1095 based blade still the best choice for the active duty serviceman?

-=[Bob]=-

The problem as I see it Bob is that the 12c27 was not heat treated IMHO correctly . I dont have a kbar. I know 1095 is a good steel .I would have to examine them both to tell the real difference. Its like a guitar palyer Bob . If your call yourself a pro you can play any guitar. I have great results from 12c27. I made my own heat treating process for this steel. The secret is in the upper curve of the steel.
It gets to abut 59 rc for me . It has good spring to it and cut very well being a fine grain steel that it is . I like it alot. I would love to test both at my shop.

Darrel,

Thanks for the insight. Butch had you right...great if properly heat treated. Seems a shame that it is less than optimum in the new generation Kabars. Guess my reply to some of the guys in the 1stMARDIV is stick with the 1095 vintage and now that KaBar has introduced blackened blades and kraton handles for 1095 steel models too, their choice won't be as difficult
smile.gif
!

-=[Bob]=-

Back