Sandvik 14C268N

I realize the knives with this steel may not be in stores yet, but does anyone have a knife with this steel in it? I'm curious as to how it will perform compared to 13C26. I really like all the Sandvik steels!

Since I don't have one yet :eek::confused:;), I can't say from personal experience. But I understand the 14C28N Sandvik, which is exclusive to Kershaw, has improved resistance to rust, and provides better edge retention. Not sure about the Rc on it, tho...

I'm looking forward to getting this steel in my hands!

An upcoming boutique run of a Random Leek (1660TSW) will be out in the next 2 weeks. 14C28N will makes it's debut in those blades. Rc will be in the 59-60 range.

We will change over all existing 13C26 blades to 14C28N on 1-1-09. The upcoming Zing's, OD-1's, and Packrat's will all incorporate 14C28N.

An upcoming boutique run of a Random Leek (1660TSW) will be out in the next 2 weeks. 14C28N will makes it's debut in those blades. Rc will be in the 59-60 range.

We will change over all existing 13C26 blades to 14C28N on 1-1-09. The upcoming Zing's, OD-1's, and Packrat's will all incorporate 14C28N.

Nice Thomas,
I'll come check them out on SHOT Show 2009.
//Jerker

Nice Thomas,
I'll come check them out on SHOT Show 2009.
//Jerker

That's a good one Jerker!:D Don't you automatically get them shipped right to your door for initial inspection, review, and collection purposes?!?!;) I mean, you should have at least a LITTLE pull with those Kershaw fellas, right?

That's a good one Jerker!:D Don't you automatically get them shipped right to your door for initial inspection, review, and collection purposes?!?!;) I mean, you should have at least a LITTLE pull with those Kershaw fellas, right?

Weell, I'm trying to keep up appearances. Normally I have to fly over and get them. We have a nasty habit of destroying everything that comes to the office.

There is actually an incident of when I bought 25 ENER-G 2s in 14C28N from Thomas so we could hand them out here to people involved with the development of this grade. The box showed up at the R&D plant and the manager there called me up and said "Hey Jerker, do we really need to destroy and ALL of these knives and check out composition, HRC and such? Or is it ok if we cut up half of them, they really look very nice".

I swallowed hard and asked them how many they had cut to pieces so far and she replied. "None but we are getting started now, I just wanted to check".

That was a close one but the knives were appreciated.

//Jerker

Jerker, could you get into a little detail of some of the tests of destruction, and maybe enlighten the members with some of the results you have found with 14C28N?

Jerker the Destroyer!!! That sounds Swedish, doesn't it?

Wasn't he a professional wrestling champion in Minnesota back in the early '90's? IIRC his finishing move was called a Sandviker.

It sure sounds like a name that could have been in Verne Gagne's AWA in the late 80s or early 90s. I thought his finisher was a two-part sequence, the Heat Treat followed by the Grind. ;)

It sure sounds like a name that could have been in Verne Gagne's AWA in the late 80s or early 90s. I thought his finisher was a two-part sequence, the Heat Treat followed by the Grind. ;)
LOL! I remember the AWA, lots of fun ... I remember this huge guy they called the Berserker, definitely the kind of image I have for Jerker the Destroyer! :D

Oh, to be a kid again....

Hehe, I'm getting a reputation here. I would have guessed it would have been something with drinking if I didn't know but destroyer sounds cool also. I dont know how cool the the wrestling vibes are though but you can't get everything, right?

Thomas, actually the "funny looking guy" (the one on maternety leave) is the real destroyer. He has destroyed tons of knives. For some reason he believes hardness always must be tested on the crossection of the blade, never on the surface. Also he makes impact tests for toughness and that requires a small piece from the center of a blade. Any microstructure picture is taken from a crossection.

At the end of the day we always cut the blades into pieces. I think she was nice to ask me before she got started.

//Jerker

you are so bad lmfao

Wut??
533.gif
Wut did I do??
innocent0009.gif

Congrats Thomas!! :thumbup:
:D :D

Ohh man, I'm sorry. I did not mean Thomas! English is only my second language.

The one I mean is actually the swedish R&D guy that deserves at least 75% of the credit for developing 14C28N. The maternity leave thing is because we have that here in Sweden, tons of it. And also fathers are encouraged to utilize it. Our US people and some of our business partners, like Thomas and Craig, gets a laugh everytime asking us how our "maternity leave" is. Kind of an internal joke that never seem to get old.

Thomas, again, sorry for my poor english. Will you recover from this slander or will it stick to your name now forever?

sh---t
//Jerker

Back