SAR INFO for the INFI-less

Had to make a quick sale at a gunshow to cash up and score a Ruger Gunsite Scout 308. Having sold the other knives i intended to, and still short, as a last resort, I reached into my boot and grabbed the first and only Busse combat knife I have ever owned. Several weeks have now transpired and I am lonely, INFI-less. That INFI was beyond a doubt the toughest, sharpest, most comforting blade I have ever shared life with.

I was going to try and score a Magnum bear cub the other night, and while prowling the forum discovered i have a definite Lust for the SAR4, the SAR5, the SAR6, the SARGE-7, and the SAR8. Houston we have a problem. $$$$ I can not have them all.....(yet). Deferred on trying for the MBC as i would much rather have a SAR4.

The SAR4 looks like the perfect every day carry knife to immediately get a chunk of INFI back in my boot. The SAR6 looks like the next one, or maybe the SARGE-7. What baffles me, is I can not search and locate anything called a SAR7. Is there such a thing? Is the Busse Custom shop the place to get the SAR4, 6 or a seven, or is SAR a past run and one needs to buy one on the open market? A bit Corn-fused on production run procedures. I will be prowling the exchange for a SAR4 in the near future, I see some fives there, but The 4 and six appeal to my eye a bit better. The handles without humps and valleys also seem to fit hands better. Well, thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders, and any pics of different sizes of the sars as comparisons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sell all of your blood and *ahem* other bodily fluids, and buy them all.

I never thought I'd like the SAR series, until I got ahold of a few. They are really fantastic blades and sure are gorgeous!

One thing to note is that the SAR handles on the 4, 6, 8 and SARGE (SAR 7) are all the same size, and are large in comparison to other blades. The handle design allows you a variety of grips, including the ability to choke back to allow for more chopping power and reach.

In my opinion, the handles work great on the 6 and up, but are a bit too big on the 4, in comparison to the blade length.

As far as 4" blades go, I have not found a better blade than the Basic 4 LE.

I cannot speak for the SARGE, but you really can't go wrong with the 3, 6, or 8. From the reviews I've read, the SARGE seems to be a fantastic blade. I honestly don't see any reason to lighten blades in that size range, and I don't just use my knives in the backyard.

Below are two of my newly acquired SARs, along with the spectacular BJ LE. Hopefully these pics will inspire you to BUY!

imagedgof.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: Nevermind, I just read the part about how you prefer handles without bumps/swells.

By the way, a good solution for you might be to snag a Rodent 4. The handles are similar to the SAR series handles. I don't own a R4, but I plan to.

The big difference between the handled on the SAR 4 and R4 is that the Rodent 4 handles are swelled a bit in the palm area, and have a protrusion that fits nicely between your fingers (at least on my Rodent 9.) I personal like this feature, as it locks the blade in place and allows for a secure grip when choking up/back.

SR101 is a fantastic steel, and the price of the R4 can't be beat.

Good luck!

The SAR 6 is an incredible knife. I regret selling ALL of my Busses (ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes) But I think it was my biggest regret, along with my KZ 2

Below are two of my newly acquired SARs, along with the spectacular BJ LE. Hopefully these pics will inspire you to BUY!

Thank you Flux, that cleared up a lot for me. I just spent an hour looking over things, and having Had the Boss Jack in my hands I have a feel for handle size and that SAR3 looks like it would be about what I am looking for in a non chopper boot blade, and if that is a SAR6 in your photo, and that handle is same on a SAR4, I think it would be a little larger than I would be looking for if I was not going to chop with it. I am more partial to the Coffin handled and hilted Bowies in the larger blades and now i see the scale and magnitude of the SAR8. (a beast) I am back to Lusting after the SAR3 and SAR6, while Lamenting the loss of the Boss Jack- Something I could easily stuff in a tall boot. A large SAR handle looks like it might be like sticking a brick in the boot area.

Thanks for the pointer on the Rodent 4, I looked at them, it is close, but those hickeys in the handle would drive me nuts. So I guess My ignorance is now, if the custom shop makes runs of blades like the SAR's upon request, and kicking myself for not trying to score a magnum Bear cub :(

Not to worry my friend; from the sound of it, there will be more Magnim Bear Cubs with other handle materials in the future. When I first saw the MBC, the handle design immediately brought the SAR-3 to mind.

I only have the pictures that are on my phone right now, but I'll post what I've got to show you the proportions of the handles. The blades pictured are the SAR-3, SAR-6 LE, and BJ LE.

From the sound of it, I think you would really like the SAR series handle, whether it be on the 6 or 7. The 3 handle is small, but works very well for the blade size. If you have any more questions, or want to see some more comparison shots with other blades, shoot me a PM or email.

imagesjmi.jpg

imagefiu.jpg

In hand (I wear a large or medium sized glove):
imagejii.jpg

imagehmr.jpg

imagenex.jpg

(I couldn't help but post the anorexic B4. It's the perfect 4" blade in my book.)

I don't mean to bash the SAR-4; many people love it.

Here are some pics to show you the handle compared to blade size (the SAR-4 blade might be a tad longer.)
imagezqh.jpg

imagekpq.jpg

I agree with the poster above me that the SAR series, especially the 6, are top notch. If you can't find a 6, II would snag a SARGE 7 when the next one is released through the company store.

Last edited:
Back