Sauer knives?

Saw a nice selection of Chas. Sauer knives (out of Montana) at a most unlikely place: my local flyshop....

Nice workmanship with forged 52100 and damascus. Most of them had very nice elephant ivory scales and excellent filework.

Would have bought one but I worry how ivory would hold up in a "using" knife....

Anyone own any of his work and care to comment?

ps

It is troubling for me to now have TWO of the major temptations in my life, flyrods and handmade knives, now sold under one roof.....I may have to go back this weekend :p :rolleyes: :p

Buy the knife use it but don't abuse it apply baby oil a few times a year.You'll have the enjoyment of using a excellent knife..

I,ve had one of his "All Around Bowies" for about a year. 6.5 " of forged, 5160 carbon steel, differencialy heat treated. Desert iron Wood scales with mosaic pins. The sheath is awork of art. The fit and finish if the knife gives the impression the whole thing grew together. I used it just today to trim the limbs of some "future" iron wood staffs in the woods, shitled on seasoned red cedar, split out some heavier cedar for a fire, and it still keeps cutting. Never needed more thatn 7 strokes on each side with a DMT fine folding steel. Charles makes a great knife. Can't speakof teh ivory though..
Regards..Ravenn in Ky

Back