Sawbacks on knives

I've had a few including Randalls and don't like them. Usually not as good as a dedicated saw and you can't put pressure on them when you are sawing because of the sharpened blade. As for serrations I don't like them on by fixed blade knives. I only have them on a few small utility folders.

I am making one now. I picked up some power Hacksaw blade to make a few Knives. I cut one and shaped it and left the saw side on it. I tried it first on a chunk of wood and it worked pretty well. I will post a picture of it when I get it done. It is going off to Siguy for a new and great convex edge. Still have to put scales on it.

I'd like to see that! I've got one that I've roughed out, but haven't had the time to do much more than that yet.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/p1010003-2.jpg

Knives with backs designed to cut through thin aluminum push the aluminum aside during cutting. They do not work on wood.

Knives with sawbacks designed to cut through wood have teeth the width of the the maximum thickness of the blade to prevent the blade binding in the cut.

Most outdoor knives are made of stock too thick for efficient sawing. Wide cuts require considerably more effort. That is one reason why sawback machetes, with their thin blades, tend to make better saws. Notice that the saw blade of your SAK is the thinnest of all.

As I said, I tried this one on wood before I started. It has big rough teeth and looks as if it is made for wood or heavy plastic. I sawed through a 4x4 with it to test it out. This will be a back-up knife in a flat sheath and fastened to my walking stick. I have explained before that I need to use a walking stick so I figured I may as well incorperate some extra functions to it. I will post a picture when I get home from this weekend trip. I have been around to long and am to lazy to make a saw knife that won't saw.:D

I agree that as a only knife, it would be lacking. It will probably have a cord wrap handle although I have never done one. Like Stomper, electical or duct tape would be my normal first instinct.:)

The first sawback blade I ever saw was on a German WWI bayonet, I believe it was an engineers (pioneers) bayonet. The story goes that if a German soldier was captured and caught with one he wound be shot on sight. This was because of the terrible wounds it caused. So they all got rid of them. I don't know if this is true or a myth. I think there was a WWII German sawback medical or labor corps knife. Maybe someone can clear up the history of sawbacks. I have a Randall 18 with a sawback and the saw was worthless. Passed it on to my son.

Back