Saws

Ok guys, I apologize, but I forgot to get the saws in the mail yesterday.

I'll be working overtime this week to make up for tomorrows loss of pay (since I'm too new at work to get paid for holidays) so it won't be until next Saturday for my next opportunity to get to the PO.

The saws are on the way to the 3 Bs...Brad, Brandon and Brian.(I offered Brad my Coghlan's Sierra saw that wasn't included in the saw-off)
I hope you guys get some use out of them.

Got the Coughlan Sierra Saw! Thanks so much! It cuts green wood much better than my Knapp Sport saw!
Perfect for the Bow Hunting Pack!

Great thread! I was looking for a folding saw last year and after reading a lot of reviews, I ended up getting a Silky pocket boy 170. I was amazed at how fast it chews through wood. I will probably get a larger one at some point for using around the house.

112bh1s.jpg

Here is a little belt pouch I made for it.
ok040l.jpg

A Gomboy 270 showed up at the house today. Happy (early) Father's Day, to me. I haven't had opportunity to try it yet, but I am shocked at how thin and sharp the blade is. Thank you to all of you that gave Silky saws such high praise. I had been considering replacing my old Gerber folding saw (or at least retiring it to my hunting pack) and you pushed me over the edge.

I use the Silky Master in my cabinet shop and the others I've posted about in the woods. The Master - with both a coarse (kind of, by comparison only) and a finish blade (the handle takes different blades) is an exceptional tool.

Thin and sharp is right - each of my Silkys have taken a bite out of me. You can not be not paying attention or casual when using these - not unlike a perfectly sharpened JK knife. Awesome tools. :thumbup:

I have three different sizes of the Corona Razortooth folding saws, and they are definitely good low budget saws. They work well and I do not regret purchasing any of them.

What I discovered though is that there's an even cheaper saw that performs surprisingly well. It's the Coghlans Sierra Saw. They cost around ten bucks and the first impressions are that it's a pretty low quality flimsy saw. It's about 7 inches long and it looks and feels like junk, but when you actually saw something with it you'll find that it works way better than you would ever think it would.

I suggest getting one and trying it for yourself. For ten bucks you can't go wrong.

There's also a pocket model which is about 4 inches long. It also works really well despite looking and feeling like junk. It's pretty light weight too.

I'm just saying... you would think that these things are garbage, but they actually work very well for what they are. They're very affordable, so it wouldn't hurt to try them for yourself. If you are on a tight budget, they might be your best option anyway. Just don't expect to be able to abuse them as much as you normally would. Treat them for what they are and they shouldn't let you down.

Back