SBW_Flipper 95 bearings pivot point test

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Dmitry13, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Dmitry13

Dmitry13

Jan 12, 2014
    Meanwhile in Russia…

Hi everyone!

Last week I had an awesome opportunity to visit Shirogorov Brothers Workshop, during the talks about knives, production and knife industry development we came up with an idea to test bearings system used in Shirogorov knives in order to determine clear the advantages of specific bearing systems. I’m glad that I can share the results with the community now.
    We selected Flipper 95 as a most popular model and the following bearing system were tested:

- Single-row ball bearing system - SRBBS (Serial Division F95), 17 balls on each side between blade and Ti scales.

[​IMG]

- Single-row roller bearing system – SRRBS (Custom Division F95), 17 rollers on each side between blade and Ti scales, without hardened steel washers in Ti plates.

[​IMG]

- Double-row roller bearing system - DRRBS (Sergey Shirogorov Custom F95), 27 rollers on each side between blade and Ti scales, with hardened steel washers in Ti plates.

[​IMG]

The testing was rather simple and pragmatical – we applied a vertical load* directly to the pivot point of the knife resting on two wooden bars so that the pivot had no support. Load was applied progressively to the certain magnitude, then knife was checked for damages sustained, residual deformations to the parts, changes in the mechanics of the locking and flip.
    *all the figures are given both in kilos and lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. Single-row ball bearing system - SRBBS
    - 30 kg / 66 lbs – no changes to the mechanics, no deformations;
    - 50 kg / 110 lbs - no changes to the mechanics, blade is centered, no blade play, no visual defects. After the knife was taken apart tiny deformation on the titanium plate made by steel ball of the bearings observed (see on the pic. in black);
    - 70 kg / 154 lbs – notable changes in the mechanics when deploying the blade slowly without applying the flip, still no blade play, stronger deformations on the titanium plate observed (see on the pic. in red).

[​IMG]

2. Single-row roller bearing system – SRRBS
    - 75 kg / 165 lbs – no changes to the mechanics, blade is centered, no blade play, no visual defects. After the knife was taken apart slightly noticeable deformation on the titanium plate made by steel rollers of the bearings observed (see on the pic. in black);
    - 100 kg / 220 lbs – no blade play, blade is still perfectly centered, barely audible changes in the mechanics and more noticeable deformations on the titanium plate observed (see on the pic. in red).

[​IMG]

3. Double-row roller bearing system - DRRBS
    - 60 kg / 132 lbs - no changes to the mechanics, blade is centered, no blade play, no visual defects.
    - 100 kg / 220 lbs – no changes to the mechanics, blade is still perfectly centered, no blade play, no residual deformations, no alien sounds in the mechanics work.

For better appreciation of the pressure knives withstood, we shot several pictures of the knife bending under the load for Sergey Shirogorov custom Flipper 95 (S90V, 3,5 mm thick spine, DRRBS):

0 kg / lbs
    [​IMG]

50 kg / 110 lbs
    [​IMG]

80 kg / 176 lbs
    [​IMG]

100 kg / 220 lbs
    [​IMG]

Here is also a video spot (in Russian only unfortunately, just hope that you can get the general idea of the test from it). And sorry for bad focusing, it was the first time we shot video with this camera.

[video=youtube;UyLudvm3sKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyLudvm3sKY[/video]

All the best and a sharp edge,
    Dmitry

Mo2 likes this.
  2. soldik

soldik

Sep 23, 2014
    The great and sturdy knife. :thumbup:
    I really like Shirogorov designs. Best wishes from Poland.

3. Charr

Charr Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Very interesting tests!

Just proves that a knife will often be able to do much more than people will give it credit for.

Makes me feel even better that I carry my 95T everyday ;)

4. Dmitry13

Dmitry13

Jan 12, 2014
    You've said a mouthfull. Trully a complete one.

5. Atakdog

Atakdog Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2012
    It makes me cringe a bit seeing the blades under that much stress, but it's nice to see that Shirogorov tests this for those of us that actually use high end knives like these. Very cool!

6. DailyEDC

DailyEDC

Mar 14, 2015
    wow

teddyashe likes this.
  7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Nice! The heat treatment on that blade is damn good. Hasnt snapped.