1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Scale maker for Sword

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Animatronic Fireman, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Animatronic Fireman

Animatronic Fireman

Sep 16, 2011
    Hey everyone, I am having an 1897 Infantry Officer sword with patent hilt restored and was hoping for a recommendation on who makes completely custom scales ....most makers I have found just make custom scales for producton folders. G10 or wood would work.

Thanks

2. Animatronic Fireman

Animatronic Fireman

Sep 16, 2011
    Also Canadian makers preferred but know that will be less likely to find.

3. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Pooley Sword (pooleysword.com) does refurbishment and might sell parts. I've never dealt with them but I seem to recall others have gotten parts from them. Use their enquiry link or email, or give them a call.
    +44 1273 467277
    [email protected]

There are a few associated threads for patent hilts over at Sword Forum International and there are several regular British sword enthusiasts.
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?11-Antique-amp-Military-Sword-Forum
    http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sh...fantry-Officer-s-Sword-with-Patent-Solid-Hilt

Making your own would make the sword yours for sure.

Cheers
    GC

4. Animatronic Fireman

Animatronic Fireman

Sep 16, 2011
    HI GC - thanks for the link, I actually own the sword that it links to. I regularly peruse the SFI site but it is less active than this one.

The one I am trying to refinish I bought as just a blade and I had contacted Pooley to help refinish, unfortunately they are unable to assist with patent hilts and quoted an astronomically high number to do anything with them. I then bought a 1897 basket off eBay and have located a suitable maker to work on the blade, build a backstrap. I think he will do the scales but I thought I would try get more done for him to help expedite it into his production schedule, hence why I am looking here. Thanks for the response.

5. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    You might try pinging Matt Easton, he might have parts laying around.

JMO but by the time you have a recreation made from parts, you could find a whole sword for similar or less outlay. Unless the blade is something spectacular and rare, building a custom around a blade just doesn't do it for me. I have a few blades or hilts that could be built up but I leave them as the relics that they are.

I guess it depends how invested one is in a piece. My car is like that ;)

Cheers
    GC