Scandinavian Forest Axe vs. Snow&Neally 2.25 lb. axe

Is anybody out there familiar enough with both the Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe (2lb. head) and the Snow & Neally 2.25 lb. axe to decide which one is best? I need one of these axes to be my workhorse axe for use in the bush. It's primary duty is to turn trees into firewood. It will mainly be used on soft woods like pine and spruce, but it will also have to work through birch. So...which one do you prefer?

The S&N 2.25 is a traditional single bit axe with a fairly light head. It's a few inches longer than the Scandinavian, and will probably have the advantage in doing heavy work. The Scandinavian is more comparable to the S&N Hudson Bay Axe, they are both pretty much the same design, with the S&N being 1/4 pound lighter.

Between the Scandinavian and the 2.25 S&N, the Scandinavian will be easier to pack in, the S&N will do more work once you're there. That's the classic tradeoff between 3/4 axes like the Hudson bay and the Scandinavian and a full sized axe.

I have both S&N's: the hudson bay and the 2 1/4. The bigger axe is a much better tool in IMHO. I love to play with the hudson bay axe, but the shorter helve is really begging to cause an accident. the heavier head also works MUCH better for splitting also. I got the bigger one for canoe and snowshoe trips with a tobaggan, so the extra weight isn't a big deal. It doesn't weigh much more anyway.
To me, especially in the woods, the only Real purpose for the axe is splitting. If you only need to cut, I find a saw is much better.
Joe

Back