Scanning Pictures of Knives!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Many folks have asked about how I scan the knife pictures that I post. Is has its limitations, but it works pretty good!
Scan 1.jpg DepthOfField.jpg Scan 2.jpg Scan 3.jpg Scan 4.jpg Scan 6.jpg Scan 7.jpg
My Scanner is obsolete - they went out of business years ago, but my advice is to get the best scanner you can, with the most depth of field!! Mine will scan a pile of knives 3 knives deep!!
The programs with scanners usually allow you to crop and enlarge.
I stretch a yellow cloth, taped to sticks over the subjects, as a background. I have removed the scanner's lid, as it's too awkward!!
The scanner sends the pics straight to "my documents", and I can post them here with my paid membership!!

Very interesting thanks Charlie. I never realized you were scanning everything. I use my phone camera to take photos.

Very interesting! I remember having to use a scanner when I was in high school and hating it TBH, I thought it was awkward. We probably just had a bad scanner.

Now I just use an app on my phone.

How do you deal with the data/memory limitations of BF. If I set my phone to the lowest ratio, it is still too large for BF. So I have to back way out and then crop down until the file size is below that allowed to upload.

You can set the size for the scan, so it's automatically correct for posting on BF!! I never think about it anymore, except when I take phone pics!!

How do you deal with the data/memory limitations of BF. If I set my phone to the lowest ratio, it is still too large for BF. So I have to back way out and then crop down until the file size is below that allowed to upload.

Do you use an image hosting site?

It's actually dead easy, Vince!!
The cloth background is microfiber cloth - no texture to detract from the subject, Brandon!

Charlie,

You are a geek! Thanks for the tip. I've something which looks like a scanner, but is it a scanner? Where is the user manual?

Dan.

Indeed, direct upload!!! It's so easy compared to any image hosting sites!!! (from my archive, 2010)View attachment 1267314

What a display!

I was, I think, already a user of imgur before starting to post here. Although I might be wrong on that. Either way, I've been using it for years.

Direct upload is something I'll have to give another shot.

Back