Scary and impressive gun accident

not2sharp

Platinum Member
Anyone who has been around guns for a while knows that there is always a very small chance that something can go wrong. Something certainly went tragically wrong for Kentucky Ballistics, a popular you-tube firearms blogger. He is lucky to still be among the living. His actions and his father's actions were nothing short of amazing. We can only hope his recovery continues on track and that he is able to return to his hobby.

Lets hope this remains his most popular video. We don't need him pulling a Daffy Duck.

n2s

I saw that video and yes it was amazing and terrifying I think I have already seen some new content on his YouTube channel that looks like it would be his more usual content.

Man, he's lucky to be alive! Glad to see that he pulled through.

I seen this on a gun forum I frequent and thought Dam! I don't care for that design especially in a 50cal. I used to shoot 50's when I was younger and they are nothing to mess with, a lot of power in that shell. I blew up an HK 91 back in 1990 so I know something on the subject. A bad cartridge is all it takes ie. high pressure round. He's lucky to be alive after that mess. I always wore earplugs, headphones and good safety shooting glasses all together. I think he learned a lesson for sure.

My friend showed me this video and it is scary, especially after I saw the extent of his injuries! I do not want to speak ill of him but based on what Kentucky Ballistics and several other popular YouTubers are doing with guns it was just a matter of time for an accident like this to happen.

My friend showed me this video and it is scary, especially after I saw the extent of his injuries! I do not want to speak ill of him but based on what Kentucky Ballistics and several other popular YouTubers are doing with guns it was just a matter of time for an accident like this to happen.

Let that be a warning to everyone - Never use ammo that you aren't sure about. I only use factory ammo myself.

Let that be a warning to everyone - Never use ammo that you aren't sure about. I only use factory ammo myself.
Yes, and so do I. But, let’s face it, this is a low probability event and sometimes the numbers just come up against you.

The first thing that gets me is that he is an experienced shooter, who should have known the rounds were off from the felt recoil pressure. Then again he may have been firing over pressured rounds all along until the metal simply failed from fatigue. Then we add a poorly designed or configured rifle. All guns can fail but good guns are designed to funnel the excess pressure away from the shooter’s face and torso. So it’s probably bad ammo, but there were other contributing factors as well.

n2s

Rex has a pretty accurate hypothesis on why this happened, regarding the use of sabot rounds in this rifle. It is not designed for them, and is not approved for use.

The gentleman in the accident is extremely lucky to be alive. I do enjoy his content, and he seems like a nice dude. I am sure he, along with his family, are happy he is still here. His training along with having his Father there was instrumental in his survival.

Rex has a pretty accurate hypothesis on why this happened, regarding the use of sabot rounds in this rifle. It is not designed for them, and is not approved for use.

The gentleman in the accident is extremely lucky to be alive. I do enjoy his content, and he seems like a nice dude. I am sure he, along with his family, are happy he is still here. His training along with having his Father there was instrumental in his survival.
Yes, and so do I. But, let’s face it, this is a low probability event and sometimes the numbers just come up against you.

The first thing that gets me is that he is an experienced shooter, who should have known the rounds were off from the felt recoil pressure. Then again he may have been firing over pressured rounds all along until the metal simply failed from fatigue. Then we add a poorly designed or configured rifle. All guns can fail but good guns are designed to funnel the excess pressure away from the shooter’s face and torso. So it’s probably bad ammo, but there were other contributing factors as well.

n2s

n2s
I watched a YouTube video that says you never use that sabot round with a muzzle brake.

I cringe when I hear someone say “even a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work”.

Because it’s just not true.

I cringe when I hear someone say “even a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work”.

Because it’s just not true.
I have been at it for over 50 years and it certainly holds true for me. Firearms are very safe, but as with most things, they require a reasonable amount of care and respect.

n2s

It turns out Scott's RN50 was a custom rifle with a heavier barrel and machinegun pattern chamber cut, so it was actually safe to shoot legitimate SLAP rounds put of his particular rifle.

It turns out Scott's RN50 was a custom rifle with a heavier barrel and machinegun pattern chamber cut, so it was actually safe to shoot legitimate SLAP rounds put of his particular rifle.

Remember that the muzzle brake warning reportedly appears in the Military machine gun training manual (see video on post 11). The Barrel may be OK, but was the muzzle brake compatible?

n2s

Back