Schatt & Morgan File & Wire Cotton Sampler - mini review

I just received my Schatt & Morgan Cotton Sampler and I thought I would do a small review for those interested in the design.

Decription:

Its a 4 1/8" folder with what straight edged blade that is massive. It is pretty menacing looking when its open, I consider it my "Zombie Apocalypse" pocket knife. I didnt even notice there wasnt any nail nick at all on the blade. You can literally get all 5 fingers on it to open it. At first I thought the spring was on the light side, however taking into account the mass of the blade with the ability to use the whole hand to open it, its about a 7, but easier to open if that makes sense. The blade material is ATS-34 and they really made it hard. Took a fortnight to reprofile the edge (well not really, diamond Lansky kit to the rescue). I wouldnt say it came dull, it was reasonably sharp but the edge was far more obtuse than I like, over 25 degrees per side. Blade etch is very light which is fortunate since it wont be covered up with a patina.

The covers are kind of a greenish and brown worm groove bone. Queen really does bone well. I love their work. Pins are cleanly done without flash and are either flush or recessed. The shield is the s X m design, glued in (saddens me). The liners are brass and the bolsters are nickel silver. 3 groove bolsers (why not rat tail? Why dont they do that anymore?). No rought spots and there is even a lanyard hole. This knife screams for a nice leather thong lanyard with something on it, which is exactly what I plan on doing.

Fit and Finish:

• The blade runs smooth open and shut with a crisp half stop. No wobble whatsoever.
  • When open, back spring and blade are perfectly flush and very square to one another.
  • Ther is a very small amount of light showing through a small section of both sides between the liner and backspring when the blade is open, very minimal. Its not bad enough to send it back, I dont like it but I have seen much worse on more expensive knives.
  • The covers are beautifully finished with no rough spots or chips. The shield is flush and there are no gaps around it.
  • Blade is not perfectly centered but barely off center, no rubbing and it never will under normal use.
  • Blade grind was very clean and nicely done. Didnt come extremely sharp but useable. Swedge at the top lends a pleasing touch to the large blade.

Overall Impression:

I really like this knife. It carries well, is well built (small issues included) and is a very interesting and usable design. I have already used it to break down boxes. The ATS-34 holds up better than 1095 and 400 series steel in most pocket knives. Its a toothy steel in comparison and can get scary sharp (still working on it). The cost of this knife is much lower than its bill of materials would suggest. You dont find many production knives with this blade steel let alone a knife like this for under $80 (at the right dealer). Its well worth the asking price and more probably. I would like to see them tighten up the QC. Somethings were beautifully done and some were not so good...but not bad. Im not a huge fan of over 4" pocket knives but this one just works.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
This knife has a lot going for in my book. I'm an S&M fan especially the Fire & Wire series. Their worm groove bone is great as it is on my toothpick. And the great handle shape with lanyard hole. I've never looked at the cotton sampler like this before - thanks for the great review!

Very nice. I really like the worm groove covers.
After thing to help Coaltrain today I realized my collection is lacking in the large (4+ inches) knife section. This may be a good place to start.

If I had more grinder skills and a twisted personality I would love to modify that into a big ol sheepcliff blade that would sit so nicely in the swayback frame. Thanks for the review!

I really like that one; thanks for your detailed post.

The big "rope knife" is one of my favorite patterns, since it has such a long maritime history, and that one I think is definitely more of a rope knife than a cotton sampler. You've really made me want to get one. :thumbup:

Back