School me on Damamcus hunting knives

Well it's been awhile since I posted here ..... But I'm back. So a guy I know wants to buy a Damascus fixed blade 3-4 inch Hunter . Something I know little about, any info on makers , places to shop on line, and so on would be appreciated, looking for a user more then a show piece .

Thank you

If you're looking for a user, out of curiosity why damascus?

Thanks , not for me, a guy I know. I have no,idea why other then he asked me , and it's not a field of knives I know much about . I did find the makers marketplace here after I posted and did a search there . Things have grown around here in my absence it seems.

The "Custom and Handmade Knives" subforum would be a good starting point; learn about who makes what, the different profiles/styles etc., and then you can begin to put together a list of possibilities.

Is modern Damascus steel high maintenance?
Does it require frequent, after every use, oiling and polishing to prevent rusting from blood or sweat?
Is most modern Damascus made from carbon steel?

Is modern Damascus steel high maintenance?
Does it require frequent, after every use, oiling and polishing to prevent rusting from blood or sweat?
Is most modern Damascus made from carbon steel?

Most damascus is carbon steel. Some people use stainless but it somewhat defeats the purpose- beyond art knives damascus is an old technology that people would want for nostalgia, and the patterns show up best in carbon steel.

There isn't much production damascus from decent makers, most of it is custom. What you do not want to do is to go to a show or store that has a big stock of low priced damascus knives. These will likely be imported and made from questionable materials with questionable heat treat. They might be fine to look at but not to use.

Back