Schrade 1080t questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by RedEdge77, Feb 14, 2010.

1. RedEdge77

RedEdge77

Jul 13, 2005
    So I was looking through one of the old desks in my house and found this tiny gem of a knife. My pops said he bought it a long time ago and just kinda forgot about it.

One of the questions I have about this knife is what kind of blade steel is it? It has some patina and rust spots but I can't seem to find whether it's stainless or carbon. I sharpened it up a bit and it "felt" much like how carbon does when sharpening but that isn't the greatest way to tell:)

Another thing I noticed is that 2 of the 3 blades are a bit crooked when in the open position. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Or I am just gonna have to chalk it up to "character"? :D

Either this is a sweet little knife and plan on sticking it next to the wallet for now on.

2. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, if the Schrade is SS, it will be stamped Stainless, or it will have a + after the Schrade tang stamp.
    The non-stainless versions are 1095 Carbon Steel. As you probably already know, there are a lot of folks (me included) that really like the old Schrade Carbon Steel blades..

Re: the blades being crooked when open, it will vary depending on the knife itself, but most 3 bladed slip joints are like that so the blades won't hit each other, or the liners when closed....

Sounds like you got a great one. Enjoy it, it will serve you for many years

3. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Schrade stainless blades were marked "Schrade +". They used 440A.

The carbon steel versions were, as 338375 says, 1095.

IF it has a patina from sitting in a drawer, I would bet it is 1095.

The blades are bent so as to fit into the knife when closed.

4. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    I'll echo what the others have said: the steel is 1095 carbon, the heat treat is done right, the blades are crinked to keep them from hitting each other when you close them, and I'll add that I have one like it in the watch pocket of my jeans at this moment. They are great little knives. :thumbup: