Schrade 296 question

I was recently walking through a community festival and came across a guy selling knives. Me being a knife lover, I had to stop and check out his blades. About all of them were cheap Chinese and Pakistan knives but one did catch my eye. It was an older Shrade Old Timer, with a couple extra features I hadn’t seen before. It’s a large trapper model with Saw cut delrin covers and old timer shield. The main clip blade is stamped “Shrade + USA 296Y” The really interesting part to me is that it has a metal toothpick and tweezers imbedded into the tail end of the knife, similar to how Victorinox “Swiss Army Knife” does it. I’ve searched the Internet and can’t find anything like it. If anyone has any information about it I would greatly appreciate it. Years made? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s some pictures of the knife
1B57C647-1E67-4235-94FC-BBCDF1317693.jpg
1C9E01CF-9527-401C-9718-BB91B434CD59.jpg
1B57C647-1E67-4235-94FC-BBCDF1317693.jpg

28E1E4AD-9F31-49CD-82F0-B81772E39463.jpg

58269487-8C04-45E7-84E8-305B5BBE507E.jpg

1C9E01CF-9527-401C-9718-BB91B434CD59.jpg

Last edited:
I have one like it thats a 96 OT that's carbon steel. Pretty good hunting knife.
Yes, I’ve found out that the 96OT is basically the same knife only with carbon steel blades and the Old Timer stamp number... I wonder if mine has a different stamp number because of the stainless blades or because it’s an earlier model ‍♂️

The + indicates stainless..

The Y was used for the yellow delrin knives I thought?

That could be an EOD (end of days) knife, when they just assembled everything they had parts to do. Old timers were carbon steel almost exclusively, the uncle henry line was the stainless.. the Y could throw that out the window, tho.. not sure, the yellow stuff could have been stainless and old timer shielded.

Cool you got all the pieces tho! Nice lil pick on that.

That '296Y' stamped blade would seem to have come from the yellow-handled Schrade trapper, by that pattern number. It's likely a rebuild or re-blade, in other words, with the blade from/for a 296Y being swapped into an Old Timer 96OT handle. Or, as mentioned above, just a knife built from scattered leftover parts, in the days just as they were shutting down.

The '+' after the 'Schrade' stamp is what indicates it's a stainless blade. That's the convention Schrade used, for marking stainless blades. In knives of that era, it's probably 440A, which is what they used for the longest period overall. In later years, not long before Schrade USA closed down, they switched to 420HC for their stainless, IIRC.

The 'Old Timer' knives with brown sawcut Delrin would ordinarily have an 'OT' (as in Old Timer) after the pattern number, per the reference to the 96 OT mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Ebay to the rescue.. the 296y knives were the 'scrimshaw' mountain man trappers. Pale yellow (ivory looking) delrin covers.
You maybe have a reblade or an EOD knife. I was able to buy those blades by the 20 lot for a while on ebay. Some have same stamp.

Edit: looking close, I cant see any evidence of a pin or any refinishing on the bolster, so that one still has a swinden rivet maybe? Which means it was assembled with that blade, right?.. hard to redo a swinden rivet.

More edit: i dunno, now I can see a pin circle using a better monitor in that second picture. I think.

It's no big deal really, nice fresh blade to use and enjoy.

Last edited:
The + indicates stainless..

The Y was used for the yellow delrin knives I thought?

That could be an EOD (end of days) knife, when they just assembled everything they had parts to do. Old timers were carbon steel almost exclusively, the uncle henry line was the stainless.. the Y could throw that out the window, tho.. not sure, the yellow stuff could have been stainless and old timer shielded.

Cool you got all the pieces tho! Nice lil pick on that.
That’s what I thought as well... just confusing with the wrong blades with the Old Timer covers. Still a nice piece that I only paid $10 for. Even with thrown together parts, still worth the money lol

That '296Y' stamped blade would seem to have come from the yellow-handled Schrade trapper, by that pattern number. It's likely a rebuild or re-blade, in other words, with the blade from/for a 296Y being swapped into an Old Timer 96OT handle. Or, as mentioned above, just a knife built from scattered leftover parts, in the days just as they were shutting down.

The '+' after the 'Schrade' stamp is what indicates it's a stainless blade. That's the convention Schrade used, for marking stainless blades. In knives of that era, it's probably 440A, which is what they used for the longest period overall. In later years, not long before Schrade USA closed down, they switched to 420HC for their stainless, IIRC.

The 'Old Timer' knives with brown sawcut Delrin would ordinarily have an 'OT' (as in Old Timer) after the pattern number, per the reference to the 96 OT mentioned previously.
I’m beginning to believe it was thrown together at the end of the Schrade USA days using whatever parts they had lying around

Ebay to the rescue.. the 296y knives were the 'scrimshaw' mountain man trappers. Pale yellow (ivory looking) delrin covers.
You maybe have a reblade or an EOD knife. I was able to buy those blades by the 20 lot for a while on ebay. Some have same stamp.

Edit: looking close, I cant see any evidence of a pin or any refinishing on the bolster, so that one still has a swinden rivet maybe? Which means it was assembled with that blade, right?.. hard to redo a swinden rivet.

More edit: i dunno, now I can see a pin circle using a better monitor in that second picture. I think.

It's no big deal really, nice fresh blade to use and enjoy.
If the blade was replaced after purchase it was expertly done. I can’t see the pin when looking at the knife. I believe it was made this way from the factory.

Didn't the handles with the toothpick and tweezer come on a model of Old Timer trapper with a saw instead of the spey? Can't remember the model, I'm still learning Schrades myself. I do remember seeing those with the accessories in the handle. I'm thinking you guys are on with the EOD knife.

Didn't the handles with the toothpick and tweezer come on a model of Old Timer trapper with a saw instead of the spey? Can't remember the model, I'm still learning Schrades myself. I do remember seeing those with the accessories in the handle. I'm thinking you guys are on with the EOD knife.
It came both ways... the 96OT had the spey blade and the 97OT had the saw... I would love to get my hands on one of those as well. It would make an excellent hiking/camping knife.

Back