Schrade artist: F. Giorgianni

textoothpk

BANNED
If anyone can help me here, it is probably our LT. I recently got an email from a person researching the Schrade scrimshaw 'Indian series', and I was able to answer all his questions except about the artist, "F. Giorgianni" who signed at least some of these. I've done some web research myself on his name, but cannot find Frank Giorgianni mentioned outside of 'Schrade'.

Probably Debbie Chase would know... and damn it all, we don't have her to pester any longer. That woman needs to assemble all the Schrade historical information and write a book. Or several.

Phil

I just found this posting what would you like to know Frank is a good friend of mine. LT

Well, Lt, I'm not amazed that you know the man.
Is he still active in doing such work? Was he the official Schrade artist? Was he responsible for the artwork on other Schrade scrimshaws? Did he do work for other companies?

And while I have you here, LT... I've been asked by a customer for Ted Williams signature knives. I found a 'Dexter' 3 in one knife pretty quick, but I also saw another... made by Schrade... on ebay. Doing a little more research, I found one more. I think one was a model 148.. and oh, all of these have been sheath knives. Can you share a little on this? Were there any pocket knives made by Schrade with the great ballplayers name on them?

Hope you aren't sorry you answered this. Appreciate the info.

Phil

Let me begin by saying that Frank is a very private person and as such and especially since he is a friend I will not devulge at his request any personal information regarding him. He does on occasion do some private work. He was with Schrade for many years and was not affiliated ( to my knowledge with other firms. ) If you pull out your scrims use a magnifier and look close you may well find Franks initials or name skillfully interposed into the scrim work. Pretty neat huh. I have told him that he is quite important to this history however he wants none of it and prefers his right of privacy. I have some incredible stuff that he did ( including etched blades ) from when he was learning his craft that is amazing. Yes he was for some time the main Schrade artist and yes he did and is responsible for many Schrade editions.

Albert Baer was a great friend of Ted Williams. Wiliams of course was the spokeman of a large line of Sporting equiptment sold by Sears. Among this line which included all manner of items from Sears marked Winchester made rifles to Schrade made Sears marked and Williams endorsed knives in numerous patterns. One of the examples I related a while back was the 3 spring gaffer toothpick fishing knife which came about when Baer and Williams were fishing together and Williams used one to land a fish. When Baer returned he had the knife made and it was marketed through Sears under the Williams name. When I wrote that before, I had found an example of that knife but aside from the tang it was unmarked I have since found another example marked with the Craftmans etch and it may have Williams name I do not remember. In any event the answer is yes there were many knives ( including folders with the Williams endorsment ( most made by Schrade ) . To list them all would be a study unto itself. Again a truly total list is probably lost forever. I doubt if even Schrade or Sears could ever have offered the 100% complete list. LT

LT, my friend, not to embarrass you, for you are a modest man, but once more you prove what an expert you are. I really do thank you for the information.

Of course I remember, now, the story you related of Ted Williams and the fishing knife.

Sincerely,

Phil

Hello all, I would like to first introduce myself, I am Frank Giorgianni’s youngest son. I tend to be very busy, so I will not be posting information on a regular basis but I will check in from time to time. Secondly, yes, LT is correct. Frank Giorgianni is a very private person. He has not produced any other “production” artwork for any other firms. However, he has created countless “original” artworks in many forms including etching metals, scrimshaw on various articles, as well as traditional oil and acrylic paintings. With respects to the Scrimshaw line from Schrade, Frank Giorgianni created a scrimshaw artwork on a knife in 1975 for demonstration. The idea was adopted and by 1976, the first scrimshaws by Schrade were produced (two different artworks to be exact). Frank’s name or initials appear in most of his work, but some of his artwork did not have any form of marking to denote it was his work. Frank continued creating the artwork for Schrade’s scrimshaw line until 1992 when he retired. So, if you have a Schrade Scrimshaw produced between 1976 and 1992, you have Frank Giorgianni’s artwork. In addition, although he retired in 1992, Frank Giorgianni provided Schrade with some artwork after his retirement. As you know, sad to say, Schrade Cutlery closed its doors on July 30, 2004 after 100 years producing fine knives.

I see that you joined a while back, but haven't posted til now. We are glad to have you aboard! I have admired your father's work for quite some time. He is quite talented. LT has shown us some of his custom work from time to time, and we are constantly running into questions about Schrade scrimshaw dates etc. The scrims are still quite popular, as I guess you know. Since your father was a long time Schrade employee, do you have a small (or large) collection of Schrade knives?

Codger

I just want to say thank you for giving us some of the historical info about your father. I have bought a couple of items from him on EBay and have a "few" examples of his art.
Please drop on in as often as possible. Good group of crazies.
TTYL
Larry

Thanks for dropping in, Mr Giorgianni, surprised me to find my old thread up here at the top this evening. I too have many, many of your father's works (on Schrade knives) and have made purchases from him on ebay, just like Larry has. He seems very much the gentleman.

Thanks for the date info you gave us in your post. It's little things like that-- just the how and when Schrade began it's relationship with your father-- that we collectors enjoy knowing.

Please contribute here anytime.

Phil Scarborough

PS... great avatar you've chosen.

My parents, both deceased now, were employed at Schrade Walden while it was still in Walden. I believe they worked in the building that was located just down what I believe was West Main Street. There are two of the buildings still remaining...I worked, many years later, at Schrade Cutlery Corporation when Henry Baer was President. His brother, Albert, was more involved with the Imperial Knife area.
You all spoke of Frank Giorgianni and inworked personally with Frank when he first began doing the beautiful artwork for the scrimshaw line. At that time, there was a man by the name of Bob Ernst who was Product Manager who was basically a liaison between the Schrade and New York City corporate offices.

My parents, both deceased now, were employed at Schrade Walden while it was still in Walden. I believe they worked in the building that was located just down what I believe was West Main Street. There are two of the buildings still remaining...I worked, many years later, at Schrade Cutlery Corporation when Henry Baer was President. His brother, Albert, was more involved with the Imperial Knife area.
You all spoke of Frank Giorgianni and inworked personally with Frank when he first began doing the beautiful artwork for the scrimshaw line. At that time, there was a man by the name of Bob Ernst who was Product Manager who was basically a liaison between the Schrade and New York City corporate offices.

Welcome SchradeSec'y75-80.
Thanks for that interesting post.
Harold

I just acquired a Schrade SC508 with Frank Giorgianni's scrimshaw of the bear and hunter. The knife was carried for 40+ years in a belt holster by an elderly Hispanic man that I met in a garage sale. It is still in outstanding shape with great snap, centered and tight blades and tarnish free...just remarkable for a EDC of that age. I have seen several of the '79 dated Schrade scrimshaws and the engraving on all is identical so I wonder just what the manufacturing process was for the ivory delrin. Was a die cut and then pressed into the material or was the material poured into the die or some other process.
-rbettis

Thanks. That is what I would have guessed. I appreciate seeing that die. It is quite a nice piece of collecting ephemera.

Bob

Back