Schrade Century Series Research

Very interesting. Good detective work Codger! I'd still like to know how they got their designs; I have done some experimenting and these are close enough to Vics that you can interchange the scales. If you are not familiar with these types of scales, they have 2 or 3 blind holes that press fit over flanges pressed on pins that hold the whole thing together. In other words, parts are interchangeable. I think I'll post this on the SOSAK forum and see if anyone's heard of these guys.

Thanks,
Dave

Figured I would drag out and dust off an old thread...

This is new in my stable:

DL-2B1.jpg

DL-2B2.jpg

I thought it neat, cause it looks like a SFO for the US Senate (obviously, the right side of the Senate. ;) )

I found it to be much better constructed than the Century series.

Glenn

glennbad said:
Figured I would drag out and dust off an old thread...
Glenn

As a newcomer to these forums and a life long knife/gun nut you have given me yet another quest. I have always been fond of traditional US knives Schrade, Case, Camilllus, etc. but I have an equal love affair with SAKs, slightly more toward the Wenger designs than Vic.

Back to the point. Recently, I have been looking for a traditional gentleman's knife for dress. I had pretty much decided on either a small Camillus (in case they are forced to close) or a Canal St. stockman because I don't have one yet. And then out of the blue here comes Century. Maybe I can have my SAK traditional US folder yet. I had NO idea. Having missed the thread before, Thanks again for reviving it.

I guess that pattern would be called a "Senator". I just had to do that before ElLob saw it.

Paul

aw man...what stinks in here???

Oh it was just your joke :D

(I'm just jealous cause I didn't think of it first)

Glenn

I've got something marked Imperial Ireland with a three-pointed crown stamped on the main blade. Slightly longer than an SAK, scales slightly brighter red. I got it sometime in the late 80's early 90's as a premium from the National Rifle Association for joining up. The main blade is a wide spear-point, like a scout knife, not like an SAK - the other blade is a screwdriver/bottle opener - everything the American Rifleman needs. I took it to work for many years as a slim pocket EDC. The NRA decal has long worn off. The carbon steel blade is well stained but keeps a good edge - the spring is strong - the scales have a lot of minor scratches but otherwise very good.

Very punny Paulino.

As I've mentioned before, it's always good to have a Senator or two in your pocket.

Sorry Glenn. :eek:

Bill

I just thought I would confuse things a bit more since I love to hear myself talk or in this case see myself talk. When I did customer shows for Schrade they often had competitors stock. Which was usually loose un boxed ect. I was told that they had gotten a lot of it from a promotion in which in order to corner Walmart ect they had taken a lot of it in trade and now wanted to move it. However I am attaching a pic of a display board with Wenger and Gerber. This display came right out of Schrade and the display is of definite Schrade color and design. I can show others identical with Schrade products so my question is what did all this mean? LT PS I decided to attach one similar definite Schrade display just to make the point. Beside any excuse to post a knife pic is a good one and If you are like me you love to look at knives.

Attachments

• MVC-739S.JPG
    MVC-739S.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 35
  • MVC-746S.JPG
    MVC-746S.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 30
  • MVC-747S.JPG
    MVC-747S.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 31
I love to learn but, had you ever heard this point brought up or shown here with an example, before? Thankyou for the info. I could be wrong but I do not remember it and I thought it was an interesting point I do not feel this procedure helped Shrade and was a contributing factor of bad managment to what befell them. As such I felt it was interesting and I like to see what responses pop up. LT

lt632ret said:
However I am attaching a pic of a display board with Wenger and Gerber. This display came right out of Schrade and the display is of definite Schrade color and design. I can show others identical with Schrade products so my question is what did all this mean?

For many years Schrade was what I believe was called the Catagory Captain in Walmart and several other stores. In this capacity they had control over the design / layout of the knife displays which included competitor's product. They were able to put their product in the best positions. Not only did Scrade design the display they produced the vacuum formed trays in house. Most of the display cabinets were produced by a local vendor, P & B Woodworking. The displays were then assembled and loaded in the factory.

I feel Schrade would have been better without Walmart altogether ( as I have said in the past ) however what do I know . It must have been a good move look how well they are doing now. In any event I appreciate your opinion and that of any sources secret or not. I will continue to post where, what I state comes from. Like I have said I am just not smart enough to keep a secret I didn't like secrets when the federal government told me to keep them I didn't like them when NYS told me to keep them and I still do not like them. I didn't like them when they would have furthered my career I didn't like them when not keeping them hindered my career . I didn't like them when they would have made me look smarter and I certainly have paid for my opinions reguarding keeping them as I am sure I will in the future ( as with this candid but honest posting) but one thing you can bet on when I am asked a question I will give the whole answer with where I got the information from. Hell even the guy from Watergate has admitted who he was. ie a disgruntled federal employee blowing the whistle. As with most secrets they are usually implemented because someone has something to hide. As far as managment moves, good or bad my opinions are simply from my limited information and affialiation with Schrade I do not have the acumen of some who are and have rapidly become experts on Schrade I do know that many employees have blamed managment ( rather than some of the explanations I have offered and believe ) . If that is true couldn't the affialiation and practices they accepted and implemented from Walmart have been a bit flawed. I mean they fed the kitty for 80 + years without them. LT

Wishing Codger's posts hadn't all been deleted. There was apparently good information in there, and now it's gone forever :(

Charles.

They weren't all deleted. The meat of the pattern research is still here from twelve years ago.

Back