Schrade Cliphangers

Does anyone out there have any opinions about the Schrade Cliphanger knives?

After looking at them for a while, I finally bought a small one with a clip blade that is partially serrated. Blade was VERY sharp.

Time will tell.

I know it is a production knife but for the price it seems like a good knife.

I've got one hanging on my monitor right now. It's a pretty handy little knife. The price is right.

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

rick1955
alittle off subject but does anyone know what kind of steel Schrade + steel is?????I can't find anything about it
frown.gif
Originally posted by Rick1955:
Does anyone out there have any opinions about the Schrade Cliphanger knives?

After looking at them for a while, I finally bought a small one with a clip blade that is partially serrated. Blade was VERY sharp.

Time will tell.

I know it is a production knife but for the price it seems like a good knife.

This is my favorite rant!!! IMHO the Cliphanger is the biggest POS made. The locking bar appears to be slightly weaker then the foil in a pack of cigerettes.To make matters worse a liner locking knife with a backspring so that when you push on the ill designed little thumb?? thingie instead of smooth opening it comes to a dead stop halfway and if your thumb isn't placed just so you can expect a nasty little slice. Don't get me wrong cause I think Schrade makes great traditional folders in the low price range but the Cliphanger is just a bad accident waiting to happen. Oh did I mention the spine whack test??
Bob

Imperial Schrade has a website. You might want to try there. Most of those website have an email address in them too.

Now you have me curious. I may go try and find out too.

Originally posted by po boy:
rick1955
alittle off subject but does anyone know what kind of steel Schrade + steel is?????I can't find anything about it
frown.gif

Which one did you get? I got the little clip blade model. The price is good. The little stud on the blade for one handed opening is kinda cumbersome. But maybe after the blade loosens a bit it will improve.

Originally posted by fudo:
I've got one hanging on my monitor right now. It's a pretty handy little knife. The price is right.

Rick,
It was actually the first liner lock I ever bought. It was the small drop point with half serations. If you would have asked me what I thought of it then, I would have said it was a nice knife. After handling quite a few liner locks since then, I would have to say it is poorly constructed. The liner is so thin that I think you could read the paper through it. I was able to push the liner all the way to the other side of the blade. I am one who only does the spine whack test lightly. It failed rather easily. It then had considerable vertical play. It doesn't open smoothly at all.
The positives? I really like the hanging clip. Although it doesn't seem to be very durable, it is real handy. The knife sits in a drawer most of the year. I take it out when I go fishing. The hanging clip and release make it the perfect little line cutter. It's always right there when you need it and I don't worry about the cheap liner since the scariest thing I see while on the water is an occasional muskie.

Take care,

Jim

I have to agree with Strider. The cliphanger is pretty close to the bottom of the heap in factory knives. I like the clip. It would be nice to see somethng like it on a quality knife.

Its ashame that the clip hanger is such a bad knife. I bought one site unseen because a picture I saw looked kinda cool
smile.gif
Ugh, I was sooo disappointed. Schrade makes great traditional folders, and maybe they should just stick to that. At any rate, they should yank the clip hanger off the market.

Richard

The Cliphanger is a low end knife. But for the money it is not bad. I have to agree that I don't like either the shape or the locqtion of the thunb stud for opening the blade. The liner lock is too thin but does the job. But I also think it should cost about half what it actually does.

Originally posted by Strider:
This is my favorite rant!!! IMHO the Cliphanger is the biggest POS made. The locking bar appears to be slightly weaker then the foil in a pack of cigerettes.To make matters worse a liner locking knife with a backspring so that when you push on the ill designed little thumb?? thingie instead of smooth opening it comes to a dead stop halfway and if your thumb isn't placed just so you can expect a nasty little slice. Don't get me wrong cause I think Schrade makes great traditional folders in the low price range but the Cliphanger is just a bad accident waiting to happen. Oh did I mention the spine whack test??
Bob

Back