1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Schrade Cut Co Half Moon Circle 2174 3/4 Equal End Jack.

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by Larry303, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Larry303

Larry303

Jul 28, 2005
    G'Day, I just received the above knife from the Bay and thought I would share how I identify and what I was able to gleen about this knife for anyone interested.
    Sargents 2nd Edition tells me its a 2174 3/4 W Celluloid 3 5/8". No 2 Stamping known as half-moon circle Schrade Cutlery Company marked over Walden N.Y.
    It further states this marking was made from Schrades inception up to World War 1. 1904 to 1928. The first number 2 represents 2 blade knife with both ends in one end.4 represents Celluloid Scales, 3/4 represents Clip Pocket.
    Catalog 'E' Schrade Pocket Knives tells me its an Equal End Jack Knife,brass lined,nickel silver bolsters & shield,cleaned inside,large blade Crocus polished on 1 side. Ivory Celluloid.
    Big Book of Pocket Knives 3rd Edition 2007 tells me its value is $78 <I paid $71>.The seller had little idea about knives or significance of tang stamp as it was an Estate sale. Goins is little help on this occasion it tells me Schrade Cut Co with curved marking is 1904 to 1946.
    Reading the knife it "feels" substantial, blades snap like my mother in law and has that old 'individually made by a Cutler who cared 'feel similar to the 2OT's.
    I guess you all have your own ways and references when you receive a Schrade and I thought I would share what I do in each case and keep it as a reference when looking at the knife as its easy to forget! Hoo Roo

I will have to resize my photos to postage stamps to post on here.

2. lrv

lrv

Sep 14, 2003
    Larry,
    Send the large size to me and I'll post it for you.

3. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Hurry up Larry. I want to see it now. Nothing brings home a good buy like a big snap when you shut the knife for the first time.

4. lrv

lrv

Sep 14, 2003
    Takes a while to get those pictures all the way here from OZ..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 6.0stroker

6.0stroker Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2008
    :thumbup:Dang you guys down under may be dry:thumbdn: but you sure got a WELL full of beautiful knives;) And boxes too!!!

6. Larry303

Larry303

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks Larry for putting the photos up and telling me the better size to submit.
    Referring to the Schrade Tang stamp above as No 2,its interesting to note that Sargent states No1 stamp was used in 1904 and is the rarest : SCHRADE
    CUT.CO.
    WALDEN.N.Y.
    GERMANY

"In 1904 Louis,William and George Schrade Incorporated the Schrade Cutlery Company.They were unable to meet their cutlery demands in 1904 and imported some of these German made knives to meet their sales demand."
    Q: Has any Forum member got the German tang they can show or indeed the "half-moon" No 2 pattern? Hoo Roo

7. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Just a guess, but I'll bet that knife feels heavy in the hand. Looks like a dandy one.

8. El Lobo

El Lobo

Sep 6, 2002
    Slightly off topic.....:eek:

Here is a nice little program for resizing and touching up your photos...

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/photofiltre.html

...I find it very helpful for posting to forums and/or keeping the resized photos on your computer without using up space. Just practice with it a mite...it's pretty cool for a freebie.:cool:

Hope it's helpful.

Bill

9. ea42

ea42 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Nice find Larry! And in great shape too. Here are a couple of arched tangs, both sleeveboards. I believe the pearl is a 7116, the bone one I'm not sure of the number. All the bone three blade sleeveboards in the catalog have tips, but this one doesn't. Possibly it's a discontinued pre-catalog knife as the catalog goes from 1926 up. No I didn't just pull the pearl blade out of the forge, it's just some crazy scanner reflection. On both knives, the small blades have half stops, the masters don't.
    As far as the Germany stamped knives, I think they're about as rare as your 3OT, I've never seen one other than the photographed one in Sargeants. I believe they were only made for a short time in 1904.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Eric

10. gradall5200

gradall5200

Mar 12, 2006
    Awesome knife larry!!!! Thanks a lot for sharing that.- Joel

11. Larry303

Larry303

Jul 28, 2005
    That's what I wanted to see Eric, lovely old Schrade Cut Co's like yours.
    I just went through all my old Cut Co's hoping for the German Tang as the word Schrade was straight and not half moon on those German versions so perhaps members have one without knowing unless they look carefully on bottom line.
    Something I did find confusing,those U.S. Patents do not accurately date the knife. I have a Safety Push Button #7414W Ivory Celluloid which has straight Schrade Cut Co Tang on larger blade yet smaller blade displays :U.S. Pats
    Feb 13 06
    Feb 26 07
    I would have thought a knife with those patent dates would have displayed the No2 pattern half -moon tang instead of the No3 pattern.
    Schrade...always more questions than there are answers. Hoo Roo

12. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    That a beauty, for sure Larry!

I'll have to take a look through mine, although I don't think I have any Germany-made ones.

Glenn