Schrade Lake & Walker - The first 1000 numbered knives with BG24 blades.

Over the years I have found Lake & Walker knives hard to find.
I have some LW2 knives that came in a blue tin, the "full blade knives" are quite hard to find in the SLW2.

In the past year, I have seen two knives that look like the BG42 blades have been replaced with a SWL2 blade.
The SLW2 blade is stamped U.S.A. and the SLW1 BG42 is not stamped, maybe these knive came from left-over parts in 2004.

In 2000-2001, Schrade sold 1000 Lake & Walker knives with BG42 blades. Listed at $100 trade and $200 retail.
I would like to know, did all the LW1 knives sell? and did Schrade make all 1000 knives?
With a retail price of $200 in 2000, I fell the LW1 would have been hard to sell back then!
The Schrade D'holder with a BG42 blade and stag handle, sold for $200 retail in 2000; I would think a much better knife!

A display "SLWD" with the two knives sold for $400 retail in 2000, and again I find that a big ask, back in 2000-2001.
Any information on these Schrade knives ?????? What is the highest numbered knife out there ? ... Ken

Last edited:
Thank You for the reply Upstram, I have two SLW1 knive #062 and #606
I posted this thread because no-one ever seem to show much interest in them.
Over 100 people have looked at this post, yet only one reply or interest in these knives. Ken

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I was reading up on these too on the very the day you posted. I didn't reply because it's just a guess but I would think all 1000 with the BG24 blades got made since 2004 was still a ways off.

I see the Schrade+ version on eBay much more often than the BG42 version. Sorry I don't have more to add. Good luck with your research!

"Trying to find some-one interested in a Schrade knife."
Well you did spark enough interest for me to get my SLW knives out and fondle them for a while.
Thanks Rick

Ken, I might be able to find something out for you, if not in my files I'll go to someone who may know. I do like the non-serrated version myself, which sadly I don't have. Hopefully I may find one someday if you don't buy them all up first ;):D

Eric

PS- saw the pictures, mighty nice displays! Check the specs, I think it's BG42

Thank you for the replys Dave,Rick and Eric,
I have asked these questions because;
1. I have often seen SLW2 knives with the serrated blade, for sale.
2.Over the years, I have only been able to find one SLW2 knife with the Non-Serrated blade.
3. I donot see the SLW1 with the BG42 blade come up for sale, year after year.
4. I have 15 of the SLW1 zip-up-sheaths (with-out the knife) why would there be unused sheaths still about?

Eric, I have some of my SLW2 knives in the blue tins. One has the non-Serrated blade.
I also have some empty blue tins, with the insert for the SLW2 knives. Ken

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=131&image_id=4669

Last edited:
There must be some one out there
that would like to tell me about these Schrade knives

Last edited:
Contact the two designers. They are nice, approachable guys and will answer your questions to the best of their abilities.

Still workin on it Ken, I asked Alex today (he last worked in the custom shop and on sample knives), didn't recall anything about the number of knives produced. Next person to ask is Wally. Would have asked today but got too busy and forgot. I'll definitely ask Monday though.

Thank you Eric, Larry303 down here sold me my last SLW1 last month. A lot of lookers on this subject, very little information... Ken

own # 500 of 500 of the BG 42 - talked to Lake a few years ago & he said Schrade stiffed him on the deal &he had never seen one of the knives - not too happy about it

Here's an interesting article from 2000 Ken:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_8_45/ai_64996781/

Mr Lake at least opened and closed one of them thousands of times:)

I'd never heard of Schrade stiffing any of the makers, unless payment was still forthcoming at the time of the bankruptcy. That's not to say it didn't happen though, I have no clue on that matter.

Eric

G'day Ken, on my collectors corner site on lrv's Schrades R Us Larry H Downunder page 8 of 18 you will see 17 Lake and Walkers in all configurations...both BG42 SLW1's etched for the first 500 and not etched for those 500 to the total 1000 produced. There are plain edge and serrated edge SLW2's as well... heaps of both, I have sold you both plain edge SLW1 and SLW2 varieties in the past...the plain edge SLW2's used to be more common and the only ones I used to see in my early days of collecting the Lake and Walkers rather than your assumption that the serrated is more prolific...I have plain edge SLW2's in boxes and tins and likewise serrated edge SLW2's in both boxes and tins...the SLW2's used to bring squat on Ebay when folk didnt really know anything about them <or appreciate them> so I used to buy them for a song and was even given some free with the purchase of other Schrades by dealers who could not quit them....I also have many pouches for Lake and Walker without the knives but likewise I have many Kious,Barnett, and Jernigan <which was not produced in 2004 due to factory closure> pouches as well and there is no assumption that Kious or Barnett were not all produced to the number stated....there were just many pouches left over for the Schrade sale I feel and the dealer where I got mine <and I believe you got yours> had access to the Schrade Factory clearance items through Blue Ridge...therefore I dont know that it is conclusive evidence that the total stated Lake and Walker SLW1's were not produced simply because of empty pouches being available..one thing we can say with certainty is that there were no serrated SLW1's produced..because of the numbers I had I believe I was the first to identify and report that the SLW1's could be differentiated from the SLW2's because the SLW1 did not have USA tang stamping like its cheaper brother SLW2...Schrade would never have anticipated the Chinese muck SLW'2 that were to follow and realize how important the USA stamping actually was...
Schrade....always more questions than answers...it's why we luv'm mate........Hoo Roo.

Last edited:
Several of the custom collaborators I interviewed mentioned (mostly vaguely) not receiving their entire due from Schrade, and lost/unreturned prototypes. Most were philosophical about it though and recounted their experience as being on the whole positive.

A Big Thank You, to all that have replyed to this thread.
As for my mate Larry, we can't do without you - Old Mate. I'm off to the Bush again.
Please let me know if you ever find that White Box for the SLW1... Ken

Last edited:
This morning I "won" my first Lake & Walker. It's a BG42 SLW-1 "First Production Run 1 of 500" with pouch and some paperwork (no box). This one flew by under the radar and I was able to grab it for a ridiculously low price too. SCORE! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280752428951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here's the link to the original Lake & Walker flyer which was missing from this thread: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/2000s/pages/SC00-CP164.htm

Now that's a deal! Way to spot em!

This morning I "won" my first Lake & Walker. It's a BG42 SLW-1 "First Production Run 1 of 500" with pouch and some paperwork (no box). This one flew by under the radar and I was able to grab it for a ridiculously low price too. SCORE! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280752428951?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Here's the link to the original Lake & Walker flyer which was missing from this thread: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/2000s/pages/SC00-CP164.htm
Hi Dave, that is the best deal I have ever seen.
Most sell for $100-$150... Do you have Christmas early over your way...Ken

Last edited:
I received my SLW-1 and it is indeed a very nice knife. Silky smooth opening and closing, light and it feels good in the hand. :thumbup::thumbup:

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

Back