Schrade LB 7 spring question

Hi Everyone. I am new here. I was encouraged by another member to sign up and learn about knives.

My question involves my Schrade LB7 Uncle Henry Bear Paw knife. I was fortunate enough to find one many years ago. Just recently, I took it out to clean and sharpen it. I noticed that the spring for the lockblade is missing. In other words, I can still use it if I keep a thumb over the lockblade so the blade stays locked. I have also tried to secure the lockblade with a rubber band. But obviously, it limits how I can use the knife and limits the usefulness of the knife.

I tried calling up Taylor who bought Schrade. But they said they don't sell springs. They would only replace the knife with a new one made overseas. It seemed like I would lose my USA knife, and pay them for the privilege.

So is there a way I can get a replacement spring or at least see a picture of the spring so I might be able to rig something if I happen to see a spring with a similar shape?

Thanks.

There are some regular forum members that can help fix you up. Keep checking and they will show up. :thumbup: Don't trade the good one in on a Taylor.:thumbdn: Welcome to the Schrade Forum Lookingsharp.

Lookingsharp welcome to the forum!

Contact member orvet. Dale can probably help you. If he doesn't have the spring you need, let me know and I can send him one (free). Several different designs were used, depending on when your knife was made.

Codger

lookingsharp,
welcome to the forum. While I cannot provide any repair advice (there are others here much more knowledgeable than I am on that front) I can echo this one thought: You will be happier with just the memory of an old Schrade than you would with a new Taylor Schrade.
I hope you are successful in getting your knife repaired. If you are not, they are available in good used condition for $30 or so. Just keep your eyes on one of the auction sites.
Also, you won't find a nicer group of guys/gals than right here.
Good luck...
Greg

Hi Everyone. I am new here. I was encouraged by another member to sign up and learn about knives.

My question involves my Schrade LB7 Uncle Henry Bear Paw knife. I was fortunate enough to find one many years ago. Just recently, I took it out to clean and sharpen it. I noticed that the spring for the lockblade is missing. In other words, I can still use it if I keep a thumb over the lockblade so the blade stays locked. I have also tried to secure the lockblade with a rubber band. But obviously, it limits how I can use the knife and limits the usefulness of the knife.

I tried calling up Taylor who bought Schrade. But they said they don't sell springs. They would only replace the knife with a new one made overseas. It seemed like I would lose my USA knife, and pay them for the privilege.

So is there a way I can get a replacement spring or at least see a picture of the spring so I might be able to rig something if I happen to see a spring with a similar shape?

Thanks.
Did you get a spring?
I have the same problem. I emailed

Thanks.
did you get a spring?
I have the same problem.
I emailed btibrands.com who are the new owners but didn’t get a reply.
I’ve had my bear paw for about thirty five years
I’m in the UK

I have the same problem there are parts suppliers you can find and may end up doing the repair your self

Thanks I read this in the parking lot of home depot and will look for an Allen wrench. Schrade indicated via e mail parts aren't available. Thanks for the note

Back